Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Magellan Explorist XL would like some feedback from those that own one. Thanks........stabow

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,773 Posts
The Magellan Series of GPS's have a far superior Antenna than that of the Garland series. I have compared both, used both, and my friends have ended up switching <g>

The Plus's of the Garland:

The controls are VERY nice, and menu is easy to use. They do not stick up like the Magellan.

The minus's:

Poor reception. As long as you are not in the woods, in a building of any kind, or a noisy environment... you will be ok.

The plus's of Magellan:

DARN SENSITIVE. You will receive Satellites in the DENSEST of all woods, In your vehicle one the floor, in many buildings, you name it. VERY good reception beyond normal GPS's. I use the Explorer Series...All excellent.

the Minus's:

I do not like the "Buttons" on the top, and they stick out. The menu system is not bad, but I like the Garmin menu system better. The Garmin has its "Attachment" on the BOTTOM of the unit, so if you hang it around your neck, it is extremely easy to use it while hiking and traveling. The Magellan has the "Attachment" on the TOP of the unit, making it "micky-mouse" to use while hanging around your neck.

But that reception that the magellan has, far out weighs anything else. I use mine for flying, hiking, fishing, traveling, has full road maps, and batteries last for up to 18 hours. You can get a battery charger if you would like on some of the series.

Dwayne

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guy's thanks for the feedback.......stabow

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always carry a compass. The GPS would just be another tool thats nice to have....stabow

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a Magellan and had problems with parts of the screen fading out. I know someone else who had the same problem with their Magellan. I use mine on my boat and in the woods. I may switch to a Garmin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts