Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Grand Ol' Man climbing stand. This is the first climbing stand that I have used. I have a couple of questions for those of you that have used this stand before.

1. How do you set it up so that when you reach your hunting height the stand is level? Mine always seems to lean forward (away from the tree) when I get up 8-10'.

2. What size and type of tree do you prefer? I tried it on a White Oak Saturday, and it seemed to slip quite a bit.

I really like the comfort of the stand, but I don't like the fact that I can't get very high.

Yesterday evening I hunted some public land close to my house. I got out there around 2pm and looked around a little. I decided to setup near a big thicket about 1/4 mile of the beaten path in a big Red Oak (about 18" diameter). I got so frustrated with the stand, that I locked-it down about 6' off the ground. Sure enough about an hour before dark a nice mature doe walked out directly behind me. As soon as I turned to see what the noise was, she busted me. We stared at each other for a couple of minutes, then she gave me the "white flag salute"! About 10 minutes later 2 more does and a yearling came out, but I couldn't get a clear shot at either doe; the little fawn stood there broadside at 10 yards for a couple of minutes until mama walked-off. If I could have gotten more that 6' in the air, I'm sure I would have got a shot at the first doe.
Sorry this is so long, I get carried away sometimes!!
Thanks for your help,
slinger

·
Registered
321 Posts
Trees are normally fatter at the bottom of the trunk.
You may have to start the stand a few feet off of the ground and then even adjust it to where the platform is angled upward to start with.This is what the manufacturers recommendIt will level out as the tree narrows.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought I would have to do. I was just wondering if someone had any tips or tricks that they could pass along.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's about the sum of it.
Also be sure to firmly tighten the stabilizer straps around the *front* of the tree.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I always have a problem like the bottom of my stand doesnt want to come up and lock onto the tree like the center of balence is off.. i have a hunters view thier top of the line model i forget the name.. but those straps suck!.. anyone have any tricks or tips to setting up quiet in the dark?????

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Takes Time

It just takes some time to get use to setting a climber up....After you get the feel for your stand you can better guess the angle that you need to set it at when putting it on the tree....Try to look at the tree and see how much it tapers in at about the height you want to hunt.....You get the feel for it....I also bought a new Ol' Man this year, went with the Multi-Vision climber and I love mine....I think it is one of the most secure stands that I have ever used in a tree....Even better than my API was...And as far as not being able to hunt hi enough I dont have any preoblems with mine....I can keep going up till I get to some limbs....Just gotta pick out the right tree man.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
After you get to your desired height and find out that your seat or platform is not level, you can make those adjustments in the air. If the seat is leaning down, secure the platform first and then simply pull the pto pin and install in a deeper hole. Done, If the platform is leaning down, sit in the net seat, facing the tree, and with your feet in the foot straps , with the bungee cord attatched, lift the platform and make adjustments, adjust the pto pin and you are set. When in doubt, always start with a steep angle when setting the stand up on the ground...I always start off on the ground with a 45 degree angle and climb up, it seems to be a very good approach to getting it level , and I would much rather have a slight up angle to my platform and seat.

Dave

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Doing Something Wrong

You are definitely doing something wrong! :)

Firstly, as other stated, set the stand so its tilting upward when you start. Its VERY decieving. When you think the stand is tilted too much, tilt it one more notch. ;) .

Also, I'm not sure if you are using the seat for climbing. Slide the mesh seat to the front of the stand (away from the tree), and sit on it as you lift the bottom stand. **TIP** - First thing you do today, is burn the loose ends of the mesh seat with a lighter and push flat. They WILL unravel if you don't.

**TIP** - I attached "heel strap" to my 'Ol Man. MUCH easier and quieter to climb with. Buy a regular round bungee cord. Take the hooks off. Fasten the bungee to the platform just behind the "toe bar" by feeding about an inch or two around the mesh in the platform. Grab the small 1" or 2" tail, along with the length of cord with a pair of vice-gips. Pull very tight so the cord stretches and gets thin. Have a friend place a nylon ziptie between the stand and the vice grips, and pull it as tight as possible. Release the pressure, and the cord will be "looped" around the mesh. Repeat fo the otherside. Now its permanent. Place feet under toebar, lift heels, and pull strap around heel of boot. Now you can control the stand MUCH better with your feet.

I'm not sure how you are slipping with the stand. I've climbed tree's with 1" of ice on them and never slipped. I'm pretty scared of heights.

A couple other alterations. First thing I did was remove the strap that holds the two pieces together. What a pain in the rear! Next, I took another regular bungee cord, removed ONE hook, and fastened it around the hand climber in the same manner as described above. That is the cord used to hold the platform to the handclimber while traveling. Lost the one that came with it the 3rd day...

Wrapped camo tape around the spreader arms to make them quiet. The camo tape punches out of the holes easy just by using the regular pins that hold the climbing cable in place.

Bo

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to thank everyone for their replies. I'm gonna get the stand out tonight and do a little experimenting in the yard. I wish I could have bought it earlier in the summer so that I could have had it all figured out before deer season began, but I didn't have enough money saved until just recently.
Thanks again!!!!
slinger

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have been using the Ol Man for the last four seasons and can relate to the "slipping". I learned to love the seat right away. I hated to use the stand in spite of its inherit comforts. However, I did finally learn to use the stand properly. In order to keep the stand from sliding you must keep your weight on the front of the stand, away from the tree. Since Ive kept this in mind I even climbed a sycamore, which is tough on any stand. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
lots of good tips so far.Iv'e had my Grand Ol'Man for three years and am well satisfied.I've never had any problem with slipping.Just make sure the tree is in the center of the "V" grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts