Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 12-year old grandson a new bow -- Golden Eagle Sparrowhawk II, 40# draw weight, 27" draw length, NAP Quik Tune rest, Vital Bow Gear 3-pin sight, and he shoots with a release. The bow fits him well, but he's having trouble getting sighted in at 10, 15, and 20 yards. His shots are all over the place. I've told him to hold the bow level, focus on the spot, good stance, etc. but he's getting a little discouraged. Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would get a peep sight on there and use only one pin until he can shoot good with just one pin--then add the other pins one at a time getting used to each pin as you add it.jmo.

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,898 Posts
My kids always loved to try and watch the arrow. If you can get him to continue aiming until the arrow strikes the target his groups should tighten up. That along with jsasker's advice will help if everything is set up properly.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Make sure he is okay with the poundage. 40# doesn't seem like much, but if he's not use to shooting it could be a little heavy, especially after shooting a few times.

·
74,535 Posts
Local Proshop

I would really have them check his set up. If there a JOAD program thats a good choice.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It could just be me, but doesn't 27" sound a little long for a 12 YO?????? How is he anchoring, is he standing straight, is he torqueing, is he punching......????????? Just think about these things when you watch him shoot.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Make sure the correct arrow size is being used for his setup. I know when I first started into archery I was using my dad's used up 2117's that I couldn't make fly for anything in the world. I switched to 2016's and I was hooked on archery ever since. Also, it is a good idea to paper tune the setup to at least get the arrow flying out of the bow fairly straight. One of my initial milestones when I first started in archery was aiming through the shot sequence. This really helped out my groups after I started shooting the correct arrow size and paper tuned my bow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts