Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!
I just bought my first bow about a month ago and have since become engulfed in this sport/lifestyle. One thing that has started to intrigue me is building my own arrows. It seems like the bitzenburger jigs are a strong favorite across the board but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Grayling jigs. They seem to be built the same way with the difference being plastic vs. metal. The price is appealing because it would allow me to afford better arrows on my budget. For about half the price, would this be a decent beginner jig for fletching right helicals?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not a bad starter kit, however if the passion lasts you’ll likely end up with a Bitz at some point. Plastics, even if you line your clamps, get gummed up with glue. Bitz clamps are super easy to clean up, and they last forever.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Get a bitz from the classifieds.. if the passion isn't there just resell it for what you paod... It's a way better experience to start fletching with a higher quality kit like a bitz.. now the last chance kit is a little bit of over kill in my opinion

·
Registered
555 Posts
I’ve used a bitz a lot in the past and got a grayling the other week to fletch some arrows. It’s worked really well actually and the different bases and offset really accommodate a wide variety of options. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one again for the price tbh.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that's good to know. Honestly, it'll just depend on what's available when I go to buy everything. If I can find a decent used bitz close to the price of a new grayling that seems like a good route to go but if I'm buying new, I'm definitely leaning towards grayling just because of the price point

·
Registered
655 Posts
I might have gotten a bad one, but I chucked it in the garbage the day after I got it. Have the bohning version too, better than the grayling; neither hold a candle to a bitz

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used a Grayling for a few batches, but got rid of it and got a Bitz. My Grayling had a lot of play in the dial, just felt sloppy.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I had one and it was ok, bitz is far superior and with the zenith upgrade its perfection.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,610 Posts
Grayling - Martin same jig. Mine is old enough to vote....at least 25 years old. Mine has Martin engraved (however) in the base. It came with a straight clamp. Browsing at the archery shop I saw helical clamp. I asked what it for and the clerk said Grayling. Looked just like my Martin clamp except being helical. Bought for about nothing and tried it at home. Good as job fletching as any Bitz I ever owned.

I've owned and bought sold a half dozen Bitz just because they were any better than what I already had, the Grayling and my Jo-Jans (4 of them). I did buy a Zenith Kit for a Btiz in case I run across another for $20 or $25.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts