Archery Talk Forum banner

great compact target

1414 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  swmthunter
ok so i have been shooting straw bales, bout $10 for three. but they never stopped arrows great, so tonight i took one and cut a 2x6 for top and bottom and ran a ratchet strap around the bale, this made the strings of the bale so i retied them and the bale seems very very tight and compact, i took bout 1/3 of this one off so its a touch small and then i threw it in the basement to shoot, works great, if it gets loose just go down and ratchet it some more.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
I have been doing this exact thing in my backyard... after cinching up the bale it stops arrows really well. I have 1 bale cinched up tight and 4 others acting as a back stop and 1 on the ground with my target bale on it. It lifts my target up approx 16". Then I take cardboard that is long enough to be stuck in the strings top and bottom to stick dots to. Works good. and like you said if it starts getting loose, just cinch up on it some more.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i also have nearly the same as you said outdoor, the one i was saying was indoor, i think the bigger semi style ratchet straps would work much better with there larger ratchet handle, i was using smaller motorcycle strap but it still works great, i think its a winner!

· Registered
527 Posts
You folks have any pictures? I have been thinking about doing this and also covering the straw to contain the stray pieces from getting all over the yard.

· Registered
89 Posts
I placed the bales in Hefty yard bags and then duct taped the whole bale (real tight). The bale is now pretty tough, feels like a punching bag on density. As you pop holes in it, retape...

· Yippiee ki-yay
3,625 Posts
Yeah, pics would help me decide which type of target I will build. Spring is coming and I need to make up my mind which type as I keep changing from Straw, Cardboard, Carpet or Bag. It will be outdoors with my 5yr old twin boys getting their first taste of shooting.

· Registered
89 Posts

Here is the bale wrapped up in duct tape....

Stacked up when not in use...

We use 4 bales:

1 across the stand base
1 across the front of the stand
1 on the left side of the stand
1 on the right side of the stand

We hardly miss the shooting bag or block but a flyer is always possible. The bales a taped up tight and the arrows do not penetrate completely, I guess the sticky tape slows them down. No residue on the arrows.

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with five year olds i think just a normal straw bale would more than stop their arrows, if you are shooting it too thats diff, also i got a larger semi size strap on mine, it is wider and has a larger handle so you can REALLY suck it down, my reezen is only pusin arrows in bout 10" total, but i also have carpet over the face of it, this makes a very cheap, simple, effective, and fast to build/fix target.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.