Archery Talk Forum banner

GREAT Missouri hunt - lessons learned

1302 20
I had one of those great evenings last night, even though I didn't shoot a deer!

First time in a ground blind and it worked like a charm. Sat on a filed edge (no trees suitable for my LW) where I glassed deer previously. 5 deer total (no horns this time) came out during shooting hours!
Lessons learned: 1. there is not enough ambient light in the blind to light my Trophy Ridge pins.:eek: 2. With the mesh windows slightly open the Skeeters WILL find there way in- need to bring Thermacell in the blind! 3. Doe Bleat calls WORK (more on that in a min.)

The first does came out 80 yards out and just worked their way across and out of range. It was getting late so I hit the Heat Bleat and 2 more does popped out 50 yards from me! The worked in to 38yrd and I drew on the lead doe. This is where I discovered I couldn't see my pins, just a black stick in my sight. :) I did my best and wouldn
t you know my arrow clipped the mesh on the window and fell WAY short. ALSO, my CE lightned nock that worked so well at the range FAILED to light! :mad:

So, as the does ran off I blew my Heat Bleat and they froze in their tracks! One walked off while the other kept coming back slowly. So, I kept bleating and each time she came right towards me!!! She finally came into 32 yards and I let my 2nd arrow fly. THWACK!!! This one had a HOMEMADE lighted nock (see posts on AT) and it worked PEFECT. Watched her run up the field edege towards the back corner and marked the spot. Arrow was still in her as she ran off. Waited...packed up my gear and blind, then headed for my deer when right where I saw her go down I see an hear several coyotes. What an awful sound! I backed out since I had no desire to fight that many yotes for my deer. I guess I need to start packing a sidearm! I have NEVER had them find a deer so fast. Needless to say, I was bummed about the final outcome and my empty freezer, but nonetheless was pleased with the success in scouting, stand/blind placement, and pure excitment of the evening.

Hope to return this weekend and actually bring back backstrap and pics!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
10,318 Posts
Waited...packed up my gear and blind, then headed for my deer when right where I saw her go down I see an hear several coyotes. What an awful sound! I backed out since I had no desire to fight that many yotes for my deer. I guess I need to start packing a sidearm! I have NEVER had them find a deer so fast. Needless to say, I was bummed about the final outcome and my empty freezer, but nonetheless was pleased with the success in scouting, stand/blind placement, and pure excitment of the evening.

Am I really reading this right in that you are saying you shot a deer, saw it go down, and didn't retreive it because you heard coyotes?

· Registered
471 Posts
I am not critcizing, but you had no desire to even investigate your downed deer because of a coyote howling? I jumped a coyote off a doe I shot a couple of years ago after letting it sit overnight and everything worked out. I don't have much experience with coyotes but I think they would have fled.

· Registered
13,543 Posts
Thanks for sharing about your hunt and the lessons learned. I also have a spot that I hunt from the ground. Those last few minutes of light are like gold. For that reason, I do not use a ground blind, but rather use a makeshift blind with that camo fabric and some cut branches. I am really hidden well and have had deer within a couple yards of me...but my pins can still gather the little bit of light that is available because there is nothing over my head.

Just a thought, but I would not have worried about those yotes and would have gone after the deer....they would run away if you got close and flashed a light on them. Can we wear a sidearm in Missouri while bowhunting?

Thanks again for sharing your story!

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Sorry you lost your deer but if you are that afraid of coyotes you should probably hang up the hunting gear. I mean come on man you seen it go down

· Registered
264 Posts
I'd hold off on packing a sidearm... wouldn't want to get caught with that in the woods with a bow. I would think the yotes would be more scared of you than you of them. I wonder if anyone has squared off with a pack of them... Hmmm...

Hey where can I find the hommade lighted nock? I can't find anything on here I try to search for...

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry I didn't elaborate on the recovery (or lack there of) becuase I wasn't real happy and felt the rest of the infor was entertaining. But I DID got to the deer and they had chewed her up!

Maybe some guys would still have taken it home after coyotes have chewed it up but I didn't. Now you got me thinking...what is the right thing to do if the deer was chewed up??

Oh, by the way MO Hunting law says no firearms while archery hunting. I have read others debate the legality if you have a CCL. Personally, I believe if you have a CCL you ARE able to carry one, but without it, MDC says none while bow hunting.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
while being amid a buch of yotes is nerve racking at times, I dont think I would give up my deer to them all that easy!! They would have left as soon as you walked up on them I assure you!!!

· Registered
36,987 Posts
I had one of those great evenings last night, even though I didn't shoot a deer!

First time in a ground blind and it worked like a charm. Sat on a filed edge (no trees suitable for my LW) where I glassed deer previously. 5 deer total (no horns this time) came out during shooting hours!
Lessons learned: 1. there is not enough ambient light in the blind to light my Trophy Ridge pins.:eek: 2. With the mesh windows slightly open the Skeeters WILL find there way in- need to bring Thermacell in the blind! 3. Doe Bleat calls WORK (more on that in a min.)

The first does came out 80 yards out and just worked their way across and out of range. It was getting late so I hit the Heat Bleat and 2 more does popped out 50 yards from me! The worked in to 38yrd and I drew on the lead doe. This is where I discovered I couldn't see my pins, just a black stick in my sight. :) I did my best and wouldn
t you know my arrow clipped the mesh on the window and fell WAY short. ALSO, my CE lightned nock that worked so well at the range FAILED to light! :mad:

So, as the does ran off I blew my Heat Bleat and they froze in their tracks! One walked off while the other kept coming back slowly. So, I kept bleating and each time she came right towards me!!! She finally came into 32 yards and I let my 2nd arrow fly. THWACK!!! This one had a HOMEMADE lighted nock (see posts on AT) and it worked PEFECT. Watched her run up the field edege towards the back corner and marked the spot. Arrow was still in her as she ran off. Waited...packed up my gear and blind, then headed for my deer when right where I saw her go down I see an hear several coyotes. What an awful sound! I backed out since I had no desire to fight that many yotes for my deer. I guess I need to start packing a sidearm! I have NEVER had them find a deer so fast. Needless to say, I was bummed about the final outcome and my empty freezer, but nonetheless was pleased with the success in scouting, stand/blind placement, and pure excitment of the evening.

You are kidding about going back 3 -4 days later and getting the backstraps .
you should have got your deer after the hunt ...

· Registered
54 Posts
I have NEVER had them find a deer so fast.
Not to be a wise acre, but you were blowing what equates to a predator call when you were playing the kazoo. They were probably watching all of the deer in the field and took advantage of the weakest one fleeing the scene (the one with the cool glowing stick from her side and terrible case of the cramps). :wink:

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I am done

If all the AT experts say I am wrong, I guess I was wrong.

I was not going to eat a deer that I saw was eaten up by coyotes. So if that means I should not be hunting, than I guess I will hang it up.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

if anyone needs a LW climber or new blind let me know before it hits craigslist

· In Urban We Trust
2,469 Posts
Never mind these guys

Don't worry about these guys. Just look at it this way you still have your tag and it doesn't sound like the doe went to waste. No matter what anyone says nothing goes to waste in the wild. I am sure there are plenty more does in Missouri you can hunt. Don't sell that Lone Wolf just yet. Keep on hunting.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
How do you know that they were howling because they found your deer?They could have caught a rabbit or something else.Oh and one more thing.If I were you I wouldnt use a therma cell in a ground blind unless you want to pass out from the fumes.They have no where to escape in a blind.

· Registered
10,015 Posts
If all the AT experts say I am wrong, I guess I was wrong.

I was not going to eat a deer that I saw was eaten up by coyotes. So if that means I should not be hunting, than I guess I will hang it up.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

if anyone needs a LW climber or new blind let me know before it hits craigslist

We don't need another hunter quitting. If the doe was eaten up like you say, I don't see the point of dragging a doe out of the woods with no meat on it... I would have done the same thing. Good luck on the next hunt friend.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
Sorry you lost your deer but if you are that afraid of coyotes you should probably hang up the hunting gear. I mean come on man you seen it go down
Slipped into the river bottom yesterday way before sun up and they started howling all around me.
Made me feel like a hunter again.
They may have watched me for a bit, but they new better. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.