Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to recurves and currently shoot a black widow MA II and have been looking to try some other bows to see what I might be missing. I am thinking about a Great Northern Ghost recurve or a Horne's TD Mountain bow. What do you guys think of these companies and/or recurves? Is the grass really greener on the other side of the fence? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Both are great companies. The Horne's do a lot with another site to help St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital and they are real good people.

I would say get you hands on both if you could and shoot them. They are very different bows, the models you listed, and give them a try to see which grip fits you better.

You may be better served to just put more time in with your Widow and master that bow best you can before you wander though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love to try different bows but from my experience there isn't a lot of difference in performance between top bows.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Black Widow has a very large riser and I prefer a smaller slimmer looking riser, which is the attaction to the two bows I mentioned. The Horne's bow has quite a bit larger riser than the GN but still seems to be a bit smaller than my current bow. :confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
If it were me I would shoot the Widow this year . Next season go to as many shoots as possible and try a lot of different bows before you decide. I ordered a new recurve in March and have been shooting a Widow PL longbow the last 3 months. I will enjoy my recurve and use it to shoot both classes next year but if I had waited to order untill now I might have bought a longbow. There will be some good bows for sale next year because somebody missed a deer this season due to no fault of the bow. It is fine to try different bows untill you find one that fits you but just don't fall into the trap of ALWAYS looking for a better shooting bow. Just my 2 cents.Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good advice! That reminds me of the article I read in Traditional Bowhunter this month. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts