Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 yr. old son and I went this morning. We got set up by 7:15. I was calling about every 15 min. At 9:00 I told my son lets stay for another 30 min. then we will move or go home whatever you want to do. At 9:10 we hear a gobble that was close, I thought it came from in front of us he said it came from behind us across the river. I start to call to him and he double gobbles along with another turkey that has joined him. I guess they got together and started to fight and gobble like crazy. I finally got up enough nerve to look out the back window and after the fight they are gobbling and walking away. I started to make some loud fighting purrs and I watched them turn around and walk back to the river. I didn't think they would cross it but they did! They are both coming from his right. I can see them but he can't. I told him to draw when they get behind some brush. He drew and they stayed behind the brush with one in full strut still not coming to the decoys. I told him to let down and move where he could get a shot. He let down and re-drew but the angle was not any better. Finally they stepped out from behind the brush a walked away giving him a 20 yd. shot. He missed by about 4 in. over his back. He was pretty disappointed. He had a chance to use his shotgun but wanted to use his bow and I'm proud of him for that. I think he has the same fever I have now.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of fun. Don't let it get you down that you missed, it happens to everyone. Stay after them and you will get one eventually.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
It is possible to have a great turkey hunt without bringing home a bird. Sounds like you had a memorable hunt calling those birds acroos the river which is an accomplishment in itself. Thanks for sharing the story and good luck to you the rest of the season. :cheers:

·
DefiantShooter
10,948 Posts
Excellent hunt! It'll happen, tell him to hang in there....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts