Archery Talk Forum banner

Greatest archer ever - who was it?

14353 Views 83 Replies 55 Participants Last post by  lksseven
Hello all together,

who do you think was the greatest archer ever and why?

I think it was Darrel Pace (...sorry Rick...) :)

The reasons: He was the first in the world to shoot a 1300+ round at the nationals in 1975. Then in 1979 he set a new world record with 1341 points in Japan. And although new equipment came up (carbon arrows, new string materials, carbon limbs...) this record wasn't broken till 1989, when Stanislav Zabrodsky broke the record at the world championships in Lausanne by just 1 point. I wonder, what Pace could have shot, if he had our equipment of today in those days...

Any other thoughts? I am looking forward to your posts.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Justin Huish
Only person to win both (team & ind) gold's at one Olympic games.
He may be the only man to do that but I'm pretty sure that Korean women have done that at least a couple of times. And, don't forget that archery returned to the olympics in 1972 but the team round didn't make it's debut until, I believe, 1988..Pace's last Olympic games.

Plus, I think the lifetime ban for selling drugs would preclude Mr. Huish from consideration as the greatest of all time.

· Registered
38,292 Posts
Plus, I think the lifetime ban for selling drugs would preclude Mr. Huish from consideration as the greatest of all time.
I know nothing about Mr. Huish, but if we are talking about **archery skills** then factors not pertaining to archery ability are irrelevant. Howard Hill's wide range of achievements would qualify him as a top candidate for greatest archer of all time no matter what other factors might have been present. Really depends on what you mean by "great," I suppose.

· Registered
108 Posts
I know nothing about Mr. Huish, but if we are talking about **archery skills** then factors not pertaining to archery ability are irrelevant. Howard Hill's wide range of achievements would qualify him as a top candidate for greatest archer of all time no matter what other factors might have been present. Really depends on what you mean by "great," I suppose.
Defining "great" would be the key.

However, a lifetime ban by the sports sanctioning body, thereby cutting short a career while at one's peak, would be more than relevant.

I totally agree with Howard Hill being one of the all time greats. Given the section where this is posted and the OP's pick of Darrel Pace he might not be the best in this context. Again, we're back to how you define "great."

Mr. Hill was said to have one 196 straight field archery tournaments at one point...I'm assuming these were NFAA tournaments...but his resume lists only one state championship and no national championships.

Certainly he was one of the all time greats in terms of promotion of the sport of archery and bowhunting.

· Registered
38,292 Posts
Defining "great" would be the key.

However, a lifetime ban by the sports sanctioning body, thereby cutting short a career while at one's peak, would be more than relevant.
Only relevant to morals, not archery ability. If by "great archer" you mean upstanding citizen with good standing in sanctioned competition who also has the world's greatest archery ability, then, yes, you could omit someone based on a ban by a sports sanctioning body. But if you mean "great archer" based on archery ability then the decision of a sanctioning body is totally irrelevant. Think about it, are you saying that to qualify as the "greatest archer" you have to be sanctioned FITA shooter? Surely not.

· Registered
2,706 Posts
If that's the direction you intend to go, then Fred Bear would take top honor.

This is the FITA page, so I don't think that would fly.

· Registered
50 Posts
Hello all together,

who do you think was the greatest archer ever and why?

I think it was Darrel Pace (...sorry Rick...) :)

The reasons: He was the first in the world to shoot a 1300+ round at the nationals in 1975. Then in 1979 he set a new world record with 1341 points in Japan. And although new equipment came up (carbon arrows, new string materials, carbon limbs...) this record wasn't broken till 1989, when Stanislav Zabrodsky broke the record at the world championships in Lausanne by just 1 point. I wonder, what Pace could have shot, if he had our equipment of today in those days...

Any other thoughts? I am looking forward to your posts.

On the compound side, I would say Dr. Randy Ulmer. World Champion Fita,3D,and also world class hunter.Total package.Enough said.

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
Darrell Pace-but for a deflected arrow in 1983, he would have been a three time world champion on top of being the only two time individual gold medalist. He also was world field champion and many times Vegas recurve champion back before there was a world indoor championship. With the OR system, a degree of luck has replaced total skill in determining world champions and Olympic winners so comparisons are going to be tough. As to Hill, he was arguably not even the best archer in the country-Russ Hoogerhyde was winning the biggest events back then-the US Target Nationals-which attracted the best archers.

Of people currently competing-I would rate Michele Frangilli as the best all around archer-he has won world titles in field, indoor, and target and is a world class compound archer as well.

As to having the most impact on the sport-then I would pick Fred Bear. He did more to popularize archery than almost anyone.

· Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Recurve
Darrel Pace
Rick McKinney
Simon Fairweather (World and Olympic Champion in 2 different formats)
Sung-Hyun Park 1405 and has won just about everything
Michele Frangilli as said above, won just about everything.

Compound
Clint Freeman
Terry Ragsdale
Morgan Lundin
Dave Cousins
Katie Smith

· Registered
555 Posts
Men:
For me Darrel Pace has been the greatest.
Rick McKinney had been the greatest IF Pace wasn't existed.
Michelle Frangilli of course is in the group of the three bests.

In Women:
Kim Soo Nyung
Park Sung-Hyun
Natalia Valeeva

Compound Men:
Dave Cousins
Clint Freeman
Dee Wilde

Compound Women:
Mary Zorn
and if I had to choose another two...
Jamie Van Natta
Gladys Willem (spelling?)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.