Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an obviously dumb question, but I've been apparently operating under the false understanding of what 'center shot' means and how it relates to how the bow shoots. I thought 'center shot' simply meant the distance from the edge of the riser to the center of the rest. After reading the forum, it would seem that its more a function of where the rest is positioned so that the arrow is centered directly in front of the string and in the exact same line of travel as the string. (Compound bow, using a release) Is this correct?

I get the impression that the fact that my arrows are 1/4 of an inch to the right of 'center' when measured only 4 1/2 inches from the rest is a Very Bad Thing. For clarification's sake, I took a framing square and set it square against the riser and took a measurement to the center of the string. I then flipped the square 180* to discover the centerline of the arrow was 1/4 of an inch closer to the riser; and that 1/4 of an inch difference was measured only 4.5 inches down the arrow from where it was resting on the arrow rest.

It would seem the more I learn about bow tuning, the dumber I feel. That, and it would appear a near-miracle that the arrows haven't been hitting nock-first into the targets or boomeranging back at me due to such a crooked trajectory. :confused: Its also quite frustrating in that you'd think that a pro shop selling you a new bow would tune it before they let you walk out the door with it. Especially a bow that already had sights, rests..etc. mounted on the thing and/or was to a confessed first-time bow owner :confused:

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
StevenB-NC said:
It would seem the more I learn about bow tuning, the dumber I feel:
Join a big club. I've been reading, experimenting, developing bow tuning for most of the 45 years I've been serious about archery. Some days, about 5 days a year, I think I'm gettin' the hang.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
You can compare a pro shop to a car dealer. they can only be sure the bow is at factory specs before it goes out the door, unless they spend considerable time with you and the whole set-up. Like making sure everything on the car works, but you have to adjust the seat and steering wheel to where it works best for you. Centershot is where it ends up being with you shooting it, with your release, arrows, point weight, etc, etc. The idea is to get it at it's most forgiving, consistant spot. Walk-back, broadhead/fieldpoint comparisons will help you find that spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts