Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a kid in PE class and Boy Scouts many years ago I could never "do" archery. It didn't occur to me at the time but I was left-eye dominant but wanted to draw the bow with my right hand and it just never worked out. I gave it a try again about a month ago--with a left-handed bow--and had a blast. Ordered a Sage to get started and I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. So I'm looking into Olympic recurve and am glad to find this forum because I have not found any interested in target archery in my area of Alabama; this is compound hunting territory! So, happy to be here and looking forward to learning.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Go to www.bowhuntersofalabama.org. Unfortunately the season is winding down for this year. Mostly 3D shoots. Also there is the DEER Show at the Jefferson Co. Civic Center(Birmingham). Bowhunters of Alabama (BHA) has a large presence there.

Reactions: jlocke

·
Registered
gearhead T-24, but have shot and owned almost every bow company including several that are no more
744 Posts
hello from state cockeyed pa

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome aboard! I got started with a Sage as well, a great starter bow!

A bit of advice with the Sage now that I have several years of experience with it.

Make sure your brace height is about 7.5, a little more is OK but a little less it will not shoot as well. Second, make sure your knock point is 0.75" above the shelf, it will shoot a lot better that way. You may have to tweak a little from there depending on your arrows, fletching...etc but mine has a sweat spot about 7.5-7.75 brace height. If you're under that just twist your string tighter before string it until you get a brace height in that range. I guarantee that with this bow you will feel the difference if your brace height is off.

·
Registered
Matthews VXR 28 | QAD Ultra HD Rest | Black Gold Ascent Verdict | Shrewd Stabilizers
167 Posts
Welcome from Madison!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome aboard! I got started with a Sage as well, a great starter bow!

A bit of advice with the Sage now that I have several years of experience with it.

Make sure your brace height is about 7.5, a little more is OK but a little less it will not shoot as well. Second, make sure your knock point is 0.75" above the shelf, it will shoot a lot better that way. You may have to tweak a little from there depending on your arrows, fletching...etc but mine has a sweat spot about 7.5-7.75 brace height. If you're under that just twist your string tighter before string it until you get a brace height in that range. I guarantee that with this bow you will feel the difference if your brace height is off.
I have been adjusting brace height a bit. And yes, the difference can be felt. I am a little between 7 3/4' and 8" now but still getting the feel for it and dialing it in. I shoot off a rest (Hoyt Super Rest) and the nocking is 3/4" above it. My arrows are fat carbon hunting shafts with field points and feathers. Most of my shooting is in the backyard between 15 and 22 yards. I bought a youth target at Academy Sports and it's working out fine. I sometimes go to the range the state built at Wetumpka for variety. But, for starting out and learning, this is doing me fine. I am beginning to look at various bows for target shooting (my interest) and went to Decatur two days ago to watch some of the USA Archery youth national championship shooting--impressive!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a kid in PE class and Boy Scouts many years ago I could never "do" archery. It didn't occur to me at the time but I was left-eye dominant but wanted to draw the bow with my right hand and it just never worked out. I gave it a try again about a month ago--with a left-handed bow--and had a blast. Ordered a Sage to get started and I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. So I'm looking into Olympic recurve and am glad to find this forum because I have not found any interested in target archery in my area of Alabama; this is compound hunting territory! So, happy to be here and looking forward to learning.
Welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts