Archery Talk Forum banner

grim reaper 85 grain?

1986 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  cctstudio
Anyone using the 85 grain grim reapers for deer? I bought some for turkey this year and Ive been reading on here that people really seem to like these heads. Ive never used a mechanical head for deer before and still doubt I will but maybe these 85 grainers would work well...What I dont get is that people shoot the Rages (I assume) for the rear deploying blade for better penetration then why do people like these over the top deplying heads? You would think that the penetration would be less then the rear deploying heads.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
yes, they are a bad little unit i shot a deer this past year at 15 yards facing me and blew a hole right through his neck!! my dad shot a bear this past year with them and it only went thirty yards and was down!!

· Registered
3,148 Posts
I haven't shot anything with them yet but I did buy some 85 reapers for turkey.

Some people say the rear deployment of the rages require less energy to open therefore more energy is available for penetration. That may be true but just how much less energy do they require? If the reapers require more energy to open, so what there will still be more than enough energy for a pass thru on a deer with the proper setup.

I would also rather have a head that I know will come out of my quiver unopened.

· Registered
10,560 Posts
Anyone using the 85 grain grim reapers for deer? I bought some for turkey this year and Ive been reading on here that people really seem to like these heads. Ive never used a mechanical head for deer before and still doubt I will but maybe these 85 grainers would work well...What I dont get is that people shoot the Rages (I assume) for the rear deploying blade for better penetration then why do people like these over the top deplying heads? You would think that the penetration would be less then the rear deploying heads.
The 75gr. Grim Reapers held up better when shot through a 55 gal. drum then the 100gr. but they both made a pass through on both sides.

· Registered
862 Posts
It doesn't matter what grain reaper your using, somethins gonna die.

· Registered
114 Posts
mt son is a jr prostaff shooter for a local shop and they really push the reapers...all I have seen is gooood...he shoots 85gr...he always shoots them unless a particular ranch we are hunting wont allow mechanicals...but that is for another thread...I myself am "old school" still shoot fixed blades...but the reapers are highly used around here...with very good reports...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.