Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I know ppl get frustrated with these "which BH do you use" threads but i am just looking for any experiences with each and which you would recomend ...i am shooting a 2011 Hoyt Maxxis at 70# 29" draw so the KE thing or diameter cut shoudl not be a factor at all..I def have it down to these two and just am torn in that I want to go with Shwackers but have heard some bad things about no blood trails at all and the Grim Reapers not being as sharp or getting good pass throughs as the Shwackers but that the trails were amazing...Any help photos or recomendations would be awesome!

Thanks!!

GO TIGERS
BEAT CUSE

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I prefer the Grim Reapers. Tried-and-true they get the job done. No gimmick just performance. (You could say the same about fixed heads). You will hear alot of people "saying" that over-the-top mechs don't work as well as rear deploys because that has been repeated so many times that it is now Urban Legend. However, you never actually see any real world problems with the GR, just lots and lots of dead animals with 2 holes in them. With your set-up I'd shoot the 1 3/4" razor tips (I've gotten passthrus with 60#/28.5"). I like the more acute blade angle than putting in the expander cup to get 2" WTS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guys I know ppl get frustrated with these "which BH do you use" threads but i am just looking for any experiences with each and which you would recomend ...i am shooting a 2011 Hoyt Maxxis at 70# 29" draw so the KE thing or diameter cut shoudl not be a factor at all..I def have it down to these two and just am torn in that I want to go with Shwackers but have heard some bad things about no blood trails at all and the Grim Reapers not being as sharp or getting good pass throughs as the Shwackers but that the trails were amazing...Any help photos or recomendations would be awesome!

Thanks!!

GO TIGERS
BEAT CUSE
I bought Shwackers on the recommendation of one of the guys that work at my local pro-shop. He kills hogs and whitetail with them and has had excellent luck. He had pictures to back it up. He was not the owner so he made the same amount of money whether he sold them to me or not. I believe they have a good design, but without a pass through I don't think they will leave much of a blood trail. Entrance hole is only supposed to about 1". I have not killed anything with them yet. With a good shot and lots of power behind the arrow I believe it will do the job.

The Rage Hypodermic seems to be a great new head.. By design and by all the recent kill threads that prove it.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Grim Reaper hands down.

It's the only Stevie Wonder approved broadhead.

Waste Tree Wood Shadow Plant Tree Plant community Branch Plant Fawn Leaf Plant Autumn Waste Carmine Flesh Plant

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i mean i def think the design on the Shwacker is better for sure and i think as far as busting through bone and all its better just that chance of no pass through and that small of a hole scares me but a friend just sent me pics from last year of 4 deer he killed and it looked like a massacre with all three...im just not sure what everyone on here is sayin the blood trails suck for on the swackers...with my set up i think it would be hard to think of notting getting a pass through unless i messed up bad and a bad miss forward into the shoulder

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome info..thanks! Its a tough one but i think i may give the GRs a try first then switch to the Swackers after i see what happens..yea i think with that set up i should have KE or anything to worry about and the 1 3/4" should be perfect

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree thats why its tough bc it seems like a pretty well designed fool proof head...the reapers look good too i dont know ...i may just buy both i feel like both are awesome and with a good shot i shouldnt have much to worry about but mistakes happen and i just think the reaper may be alittle better when that big boy is standing there and the fever kicks in and the shot is not perfect lol

·
Is it beer:30 yet??
6,474 Posts
You can feel confident that Swhackers will get the job done.
This! Big holes, lots of blood, quick kills that you watch from the stand, and don't worry about that no pass through thing. That was not a problem with Swhackers.....The phrase, like a hot knife through butter, comes to mind.

·
Getting things figured
883 Posts
3 does so far this year with GR Razorcut SS and no tracking at all. First one was fluke, string off my sleeve in the excitement of the moment and the arrow made a clean pass through of her spine. Down in 6 ft and done. Second was high lung to low lung pass through, she went 30 yards right then 20 yards left and died 25 yards in front of my stand. Third was a lung to lung pass through that made it 40 yards and died 15 ft from the trail I walked out to get the truck on. Found her before I even started looking. No complaints what so ever.

·
Yeah I'd shot that one...
1,759 Posts
I killed a pig with Schwackers, I killed a doe with a Schwacker.......My buddy killed a very nice buck with a Schwacker. The deer were both pass throughs and niether deer feel out of eye sight. The pig did not pass through but it bleed like a ......well like a stuck pig! They fly true and hit where I aim. I like Schwackers, now the performance I got with my set up and the shot placement I experianced are no garantee you will have similar results. Broadheads are not expensive, I can't believe had I shot the doe or the pig last year with Grim Reapers thet my results would have veried much.

CG

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea that is kind of the same thinking i have but i do like all the talk about tru they fly compared to others..especially at the longer distances..but i agree i think its all placement and was leaning towards the shwackers with my set up just wanted to get some feed back to see if anyone had bad experiences and it seems the only bad thing i hear is every now and then the blood trail isnt great but find the deer...ill take it..i was almost sold on the GR but the downs i have heard of those is worse..no pass through and breaking or whatever ..i think the downward drain smaller is gonna be better than a larger hole where blood has to flow up and out with no exit and these shwackers seem to do the trick with pass throughs

·
The Rut Rascal
1,744 Posts
I switched to Swhackers last season shot 4 deer with them 1 twice because he just stood there at 40 yds after 1st shot so I shot him again, and one bobcat.

Longest blood trail of the 4 was 80 yards where I just clipped the top of a does lungs

avg trail was about 50 yds

looked like red carpets, pass thrus in every case except 2 one hit spine, one hit offside shoulder of a 300 lb OHIO brusier. Yeah he was the one just standing there but the first shot was a pass thru and he would have probably died right there, had I not shot him again, but hey, still standing keep shooting.

·
The Rut Rascal
1,744 Posts
I found some other pics on this topic from last year

typical exit holes broad side 3 1/4" blade on knife

exit hole after cleaning big deer

typical entrance broad side (angled or quarted open them up more)

bobcat stuck to ground

blood trail in dark

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice...thanks guys for the info...think im gonna go with the swhacker first go around espeicaly with my setup i think i will be fine and i just trust that design a little more than the rest

·
Archery Addict
5,661 Posts
I've used Reapers and they work great I'm waiting in a tree right now as I type to put a Swhacker to the test

1 - 20 of 33 Posts