Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This "open on impact" broadhead is noted to be one of the better mechanicals in a long time. any opinions ?

there is no O ring to keep the blades in place. the blades can be locked open to be shot as a fixed head. extended tip penitrates to help prevent kick out on quartering away shots. weight collars are used to achieve the 85, 100, 125 grains. cuts 1 3/8" wide.

these are new for 2003 but I was hoping someone shot them. I like the idea but wonder how they tune. or if they need to be ?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i tried the reaper and had a couple of problems with it opening up in flight. i checkd t see if it was lined up and locked down and still it opened for me. i have heard others going crazy over them but for me it didn;t quite work out. i went with the rocket steelheads several years ago and have yet to find one that equals it in my mind. i know a lot of people do like the reapers just wasn;t for me
rob k

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Rob k
was the arrow flight bad because of it opening ? and was it all blades ? how is the penitration on a good arrow and flight ? sorry for so many questions. just trying to solve the tuning of fixed broadheads to my system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,.. I did a search on the mechanical broadheads test in here. found a can of worms to say the least. it seems most like the steelhead over other type.
I played around with dealers over the web for a while and found that steelheads are very spendy. over $20 each.
WHY,..
I seen pictures and they don`t look any more superior then any other.
so my question is are they really that much or did I not find the right place to shop ? and if they are (witch is a turn off) can someone give me a respectible price. for a set of 3 maybe even 6 if the price is right.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Grim Reaper 100 grain
Accuracy 5 points
Orange 4 points
Plywood 2 points
Steel drum 4 points
Blades 3 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Total score: 22, blade sharpness ratting B

The Grim Reaper mechanical is a unique head. It is a 3 blade, swing open type mechanical, but with a few distinct features. First the tip has 3 small blades inserted on the three flat sides. Without the blade inserts it looks very much like a muzzy tip, and also screws on in the same manor. The 2nd unique feature is the blade retention system. The head uses springs and a collar to hold the blades closed without the use of O- rings or rubber bands. The collar pushes the springs forward. which in turn put pressure on the rear of the blades. This keeps the blades closed until the head impacts something to force them open. I found this system worked very well for normal practice, and the head never failed to open. I did however find that with severe impacts, the heads still opened properly but the springs would break not holding the blades closed upon repeated shots. I really don’t see this as a problem because you can purchase spare springs, and it only happened when hitting the plywood and steel drum. Since you need to replace the blades after shooting the heads before hunting with them, I would just replace the springs as well. I really don’t think you would have this problem on an animal. Plywood and steel drums are tougher than deer parts, and like I said the heads opened fine on the first shot, and the springs only broke under really severe impact.
In the orange it started to open on the front side, and by the time the head exited it was fully open. In the plywood the head fully opened, and penetrated up to the back of the blades. I did manage to bend in the body of one head slightly on the 2nd shot through the plywood. It only happened once, and only on the 2nd shot, but it is something to consider. In the Steel drum the Grim Reaper penetrated the first side, and the tip stuck in the far side. It did break off the tips of two blades, but no cutting surface was lost.
Overall these heads did fairly well in my tests, and the trocar tips with the blade inserts did improve penetration in most every material. I am not sure how much extra damage they will do in game, but they sure don’t hurt anything. The heads tested are actually last years model, and it is my understanding that the manufacture has or is currently making improvements to them to strengthen the main body. If this is the case an already good head will only get better. They have some great features and a couple of minor weak points, which is pretty much the case with all heads. I can see no reason not to use them if you like the positive features, and trocar style tip. Just pick up a few extra springs when you buy your replacement blades.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 5 shot, I was still leaning towards the GR but now you have sealed it for me. now I`m on a mission to find a good deal.

yes that was for a 3 pack cajun. I read the info at wea hours in the morning. they meant each pack. that would be respectable for broadheads of that magnitude.

I must say that the decission between the two came down to options that I like. and of course 5 shots test results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for all that think plywood and steel drums are not wild game. and need to see what the grim reaper will do to animals. go to
www.grimreaperbroadheads.com
there are two pics and small info on the kills. I know that this is there own site and they will do what it takes to sell there products. BUT it backs up 5 shots test for sure.
I found a dealer 25 miles from home. Got to see these things close up.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Trailhiker,before you buy why don't you go to "broadheadtest.com"done by 5- shot and see how the steelheads 125's did in testing.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good idea. i think I will thanks tree jumper.
I`m hoping that the dealer that has reapers also has steel head. then I`ll see each close up. There are options that I like in the reaper. thats what made my choice for the most part. the weight collors for one. I like the idea of having another way to tune a broadhead.
I`m hunting a ground blind on opener and want to go as heavy as i can. because the farthest distance is only 27 paces to the deer run. witch runs along a creek. (normaly) they are this side of it 12 to 20 yard shots.
then later in the year I`m in open pine and hardwood during rutt. so I want a lighter head for distance. being they are the same head tuning should be minimal.
I may get a set of stealhead and try them next spring for turkey.
tune to them over the winter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have used them the last two years and they performed great, this last year a doe at 33 yards and a buck at 6 yards neither one of them traveled more than 20 yards, I would suggest them to anybody !! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used them last year with great results. Be advised--I used the older model which is not as durable. Both heads I used last year were destroyed. The new design looks a lot tougher--I can't wait to try them out. A hunting buddy of mine also uses them. He never had pass throughs until he tried these heads. The tip, blade angle, and moderate cutting diameter make this a great head. You won't be dissappointed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Still no good.

TJ- still not valid. If you would, open up the site then copy the actual place it takes you to on the address bar. Copy that into the reply if you would. I'm curious to see the different tests. Thanks!

Daron

·
Registered
160 Posts
grim reapers

took three deer with grim reapers last year and none of them made it out of sight of the stand,however all three ferrules were destroyed.great performance but a little pricey for one shot use.now if they made them a little more durable i would go right back to them.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Re: Still no good.

deerslayer1 said:
TJ- still not valid. If you would, open up the site then copy the actual place it takes you to on the address bar. Copy that into the reply if you would. I'm curious to see the different tests. Thanks!

Daron
Hey DS,sorry,hit on 5-shots link above me here,I forgot the one "s"at the end of tests.....:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks Guys.

Much better. I should of thought of that to begin with...

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts