Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you're experiences and/or opinions on this matter. Does that extra 1/4" of cutting on the 2" head really make a difference vs the 1 3/4" cut? I like the 1 3/4" because I shoot 125 grain and the 2" head only comes in 100 grain. I'm shooting a HeliM, 425 grain arrow at around 275 fps. Would it be that much more likely for pass throughs using the 1 3/4"? I hunt mainly hogs in thick cover so getting blood on the ground quickly is imparitive.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
IMO you will be better off shooting the 1 3/8" with the expander cup making it 1.5" for hogs.

Ferrule and blades are tougher due to length being shorter

·
Vendor
10,766 Posts
Both will have problems getting pass thrus on hogs and larger game. Open on impacts lose almost a third of their energy upon impact.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really liking the pro series. Problem is I need em now! They won't be availible til Spring I thought. I've had no issues at all using rage hypos and getting pass throughs. The last hog I shot had the exit hole seal up pretty good with tissue, just thinking a three blade head will be less likely to do that and would result in better blood. The blood was still decent on that pig I just mentioned, but still harder to track than I'd like. Dealing with night hunting and thick tangled brush and swamp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have switched from 2" to 1-3/4" and 1-3/8" (all 100 gr) this year. I have noticed a little better penetration with these. Out of 5 deer only 1 arrow didn't pass through and stick in the dirt. I will be sticking with the 1-3/8". I love these heads.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have switched from 2" to 1-3/4" and 1-3/8" (all 100 gr) this year. I have noticed a little better penetration with these. Out of 5 deer only 1 arrow didn't pass through and stick in the dirt. I will be sticking with the 1-3/8". I love these heads.
Yep. I have done the same thing. Used expander cups to make 1.5"

·
Registered
660 Posts
1 3/8" for me. Got so much penatration on my last bull at 43 yds I had to pull it out of an aspen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts