Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else has had this happen. This fall I shot a great 4x4 whitetail from about 7 yards in a ground blind. The deer was perfectly broadside. Had a complete pass through, and heard the deer go down. When I got out to grab my arrow I saw that all 3 of the blades had been broken off clean at the shaft. When I went to field dress my deer I checked the entrance and exit wounds. The entrance was about an inch in diameter, and the exit was about the diameter of the arrow shaft. When I opened up the deer, I found all 3 blades inside the chest cavity. The broadhead was screwed on firmly, and the head was brand new. Any ideas?? I shoot a 60# mathews reezen.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've had one of my grim reapers blade bent but never broken. That was from a 35 yard shot as well from a treestand. I've also had a rage broad head do the same exact thing too. Both were clean pass through as well. Might have hit a rock in the dirt or something. Did it hit bone though? I can see it doing that but still passing through.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Kinda weird ....last year I accidentally spined a doe and only had 2 bent blades . That was with a 70 lb insanity and 475 grain arrow ...the head was buried up half way in the blades.

·
Registered
841 Posts
By the way, congratulations on your buck!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had one of my grim reapers blade bent but never broken. That was from a 35 yard shot as well from a treestand. I've also had a rage broad head do the same exact thing too. Both were clean pass through as well. Might have hit a rock in the dirt or something. Did it hit bone though? I can see it doing that but still passing through.
No the pass through was far enough back, so it only could have hit ribs, and the blades were broke off inside the deer so it didn't break when the broadhead hit the ground. The blades were not bent at all. Just snapped clean off.

·
Registered
656 Posts
IMO any mechanical head is prone to blade loss or breakage because the blade is so narrow. there is no trailing edge so regardless of blade thickness mechanical designs are prone to breakage. IMO mechanicals are best suited for coyotes & varmints. nice buck congrats. goodluck.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Nice Buck..I will only shoot Reapers from now on..I have shot the same one thr4 deer this year 2 does and 2 bucks and the arrow is still in my quiver

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I shot quite a few bucks with reapers and never had blades break. I wouldn't sweat it. They are mass produced so stuff like that happens from time to time.

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
The 2"WS are great for turkeys, but that's all I would use them for. I prefer greater penetration, stronger blades, and a larger entrance hole on larger game.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
To put it plainly the 2" reapers are weak. At 60 lbs a little big for you. The 1 3/8" reapers are alot better head. The whitetail specials ferrules bend and can open in flight when you shoot over 310 fps. If you want to still shoot a 2" 3 blade a wasp jak hammer is alot tougher head. And will with stand a shoulder shot. A W.T.S. is 50/50 at best. And the whole cart wheeling thing people say about over the top expandables I cant get it to happen, I unfortunately had a 210lb whitetail carcass to test heads on. I shot that jak hammer at every severe angle I could and it just plowed straight in. The reaper W.T.S. just bent on first shot.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Yes...something similar did happen to me.

The local shop had a broadhead sale cleaning out some inventory and sold me some Grim Reaper Mathews Edition heads for about half price. I had never used a mech head before so figured why not. I shot a yote at about 15 yards. Upon inspecting the yote I notice the entrance and exit holes are small...just bigger than the shaft. Those are big blades to make a very small hole. I found the arrow and one blade was clean broke off and the other blade was bent very bad. This broadhead struggled on a yote, I can only imagine how bad it would have performed on a deer.

No way I would ever screw on a Grim reaper on another arrow...you could not even give me those heads. Junk in my opinion, I was disappointed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts