Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trying the 100grain Grim Reapers this year for deer. I've never shot a mechanical before but am considering giving it a try. I've always been a fixed blade guy but I like trying new things out. Anyone have experience with these heads? Also post some photos of animals killed with them.
Thanks

·
Semper Fidelis
1,254 Posts
I started using them this past year and took 2 deer with them. A basket 9 that I shot at 30 yards, complete passthrough, deer went maybe 25 yards. Then a doe that was about 6-7 steps from the base of my tree, I was st least 20' up so it was a very steep shot. I had put my pin on the ground below her chest since the shot was so steep, complete passthrough, by far the coolest bloodtrail I've ever seen, she went 40 yards and piled up(center punched the heart). Awesome heads, I went and bought 2 more packs!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I used them years ago. They do kill stuff good but the ferule is made out of aluminum. When I bent a couple of them in my target i switched back to fixed blades. JMO

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Great heads, been tough as nails for me, great blood trails and put them down in short order.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
In the last 2 years i have harvested 14 big game animals from antelope to elk, mostly deer, with the grim reaper razortips. I have not had 1 hickup from them yet. By far my favorite broadhead to date.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
I used them years ago. They do kill stuff good but the ferule is made out of aluminum. When I bent a couple of them in my target i switched back to fixed blades. JMO
I believe they use t7071 aluminum which is a very very hard aluminum, not cheap material eather. they are a much tougher ferral than say a muzzy. Most of the time it is just the point that bends if i have one not spin for me. Either a little side pressure on the tip straightens them out or i just replace the tip. I have had 3 bent a little more than i would trust for a long shot in the last 2 years and 14 kills.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
The archery shop I go to turned me on to these heads a few years ago, and I haven't looked back since. I'm shooting the 100 grain 1 3/4" cut and have run them thru deer, bear, and caribou. I won't be changing anytime soon, especially after they saved my butt on 2 bad hits I made last year.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I shot this buck here in Iowa last Nov. with a Grim Reaper Razortip 100gr, I shoot the 1 3/8" cut but I put the expander cups on them and it makes them 1 1/2" cut. I shot him at like 22 yds, he went 34yds from the point of impact and went down...It was one of the worst shots I've put on a deer in awhile...He was chasing a doe and I couldnt get him to stop and shot him on a kinda quick walk so I hit him a touch back...When I saw the arrow hit him I thought "Man I'm in for a track job on this one"...But like I said, 34yds and he went down.

·
HillsideCustomSlings, LLC
13,366 Posts
Best mechanical broadhead on the market....every deer that I've shot with these heads have died within sight of the tree stand.....try em' out you won't be disappointed. I use the RazorTip 1 3/8" cut.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used to be a die-hard fixed blade guy until I gave the 100grn razortips a try. I see no need to go back after seeing their performance. Haven't had one make it past 60yds since changing heads. They are one of the best mechanicals made IMO. They fly great and just flat out work. I'll be trying out the SS model this year.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I usually don't post on the broadhead threads, but I am a huge Grim Reaper fan. I used to swear by muzzy's and swore i would never shoot anything else, but I tried out the razortip 100's about 4 years ago and like a previous poster said, almost everything I have shot has dropped within sight. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Reapers and Steelheads are the only mechanical heads I trust to do the job! I still use fixed blades to, but if I get the desire to use a mechanical these go on my arrows. They're tough and sharp! Just a great overall design. Check out the new Razorcut mechanicals with the stainless steel tip.
Awesome!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Grim reapers all the way my dad has been useing them for the last 5 years and i started last year and we havnt ever had a deer get a way and the blood trail is unbelevible!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spitfires are a great alternative as well. Blades are nice and think and they leave a great blood trail. Both are about the same price I think and operate on the same principle.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Personally, I would look for something else.. I shot them last year and I wasn't impressed. Not saying they won't kill anything, because they will! They are just not what I like to shoot. I prefer a cut on contact fixed blade steel broadhead. I shoot both slick tricks as well as magnus stinger four blades. They are both Awesome.

To each their own.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts