Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never ground any deer into burger or sausage, not knowing how much fat to add to keep it from burning up in the skillet. Someone told me that the way to do it is to mix a pound of ground beef into two pounds of ground deer, same for sausage, or something along those lines. Anyone familiar with this process, or any additional input? I'm getting tired of taking it to the processor, and would like to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have everything but the straps ground simply because my family will use it more often that way. I ask the butcher to use 30% pork for the sausage, and 30% beef for the hamburger. I've never seen him do it, so I am not sure what exactly is going in as far as meat vs. fat. We use it for spaghetti, lasagna, hamburgers, casseroles etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am on my third year of doing entirely my own processing with venison, and I never add fat to my ground meat. If anything, I make sure nothing but pure meat is ground (no silver skin, etc.). When I am doing sausage links, italian sausage and brats I mix about 1/3 pork to 2/3 vension and leave the pork fat in.

Scott

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
We have been processing our own for a long time around here. We dont add any fat to burger.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Do your own...be very picky and throw out anything you don't think should be in there....

then if you and your family wants it to taste a little more like beef and have the fat content to stick together for hamburgers go to the butcher shop and ask for some beef tallow....

Add 10% Tallow by weight...been doing that in my family since the 60's....Tastes very good.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
siucowboy said:
Do your own...be very picky and throw out anything you don't think should be in there....

then if you and your family wants it to taste a little more like beef and have the fat content to stick together for hamburgers go to the butcher shop and ask for some beef tallow....

Add 10% Tallow by weight...been doing that in my family since the 60's....Tastes very good.
I would say NO WAY to the tallow thing. It seems to just pill up. I mix about 25% cheap beef and/or pork butt roast into my ground venison and it turns out well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always get some suet(beef fat) from the local grocery store butcher. They don't mind giving it away and mix a little in with the ground venison, somewhere around 10%. I was always told to do that for keeping the burgers together. When making sausage I use cheap bacon and packaged seasoning.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have ground mine up for over 20 years and I never add anything...i am picky about what deer fat is in it. I cook all sorks of things with no prob. spag, meatloaf. hamburgers. lasagna. it wont burn up.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I don't have as much experience as others, but, adding a couple slices of pepperoni per 1/4lb for burgers is fantastic. Tastes great and adds a little fat to the equation.

I don't see the need to add fat for spaghetti, chili, etc.

I'm still working on the sausage thing.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i also process my own deer and dont add any fat.why would you take something lean and add fat too it.my family eats deer at least 4 times a week.i use the burger in spagetti tacos ham. helper all sorts of things with no problem.if you want to make burgers just pour in some of your favorite bbq sauce to keep them moist.

·
Registered
476 Posts
rude boy said:
I always get some suet(beef fat) from the local grocery store butcher. They don't mind giving it away and mix a little in with the ground venison, somewhere around 10%. I was always told to do that for keeping the burgers together. When making sausage I use cheap bacon and packaged seasoning.
Rude boy - You took the words right out of my mouth. It's as simple as adding 10% beef suet to the purest venison you can cut off the bone. I've also found that the stores around here (Wegman's, Tops) will give the beef suet away for nothing. Lastly, the beef suet also serves as a lubricant in the grinder preventing the venison from binding up.

Good luck.
:drum:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
pizzle said:
I would say NO WAY to the tallow thing. It seems to just pill up. I mix about 25% cheap beef and/or pork butt roast into my ground venison and it turns out well.
First I'm not sure what you mean by "pill up" and I'm guessing the answer to any issue you had was the fact that you need to use FROZEN tallow...it cuts up better and grinds up nice with the meat that way...course meat that's cold grinds better too.

I have also mixed in ground beef with deer to make hamburger with similiar results, but the tallow is cheap and works just as well if not better....

for sausage we always mixed 40% pork with deer...

·
Registered
18 Posts
no fat here

i have found when we grind venison i am very picky as to what a butcher will do for you i leave no fat or the siver slimy skin on any of my meat steaks or grinder meat i have found that deer fat goes rancid much faster than beef or pork therfore i get rid of almost all not every little speck but if it is the size of a pencil eraser it is gone. i make burgers, vension jerky mostly, i do this with the dehydrator in about 15 pound batchs i have kept jerky for 8 months in the refridgerator i wanted to try someone elses jerky and i went bad in a few weeks as i later found out that he trimed very little fat it has a very distinct flavor if you leave it on. Hope this helped chris

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
crankid said:
i have found when we grind venison i am very picky as to what a butcher will do for you i leave no fat or the siver slimy skin on any of my meat steaks or grinder meat i have found that deer fat goes rancid much faster than beef or pork therfore i get rid of almost all not every little speck but if it is the size of a pencil eraser it is gone. i make burgers, vension jerky mostly, i do this with the dehydrator in about 15 pound batchs i have kept jerky for 8 months in the refridgerator i wanted to try someone elses jerky and i went bad in a few weeks as i later found out that he trimed very little fat it has a very distinct flavor if you leave it on. Hope this helped chris

you are right about deer fat! Remove every trace!

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
groud meat

If it is just for burgers it's about 1/3 beef.

For breakfest patties, about 1/3 pork.

If for summersausage, beef and some back fat.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I never add any fat to my carefully-trimmed, ground venison. If it's burning in the skillet, your heat is too high or you are overcooking it. The most I add is a pat of butter to the skillet before browning sometimes. My family loves the taste of well cared-for and prepared, pure venison.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I never add fat to my meat, but if you want to make burgers and it won't stay together very well try adding 1 egg to a pound of meat and mix it up really good. The egg will help the meat stay together.

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
I work for a butcher and people come just for the breakfast sausage and the burger. we buy verry clean pork fat no grizzle and clean beef fat we mix burger 65% deer 35% beef fat sausage we mix 60%deer 40% pork lets face best beef hamburger for taste ground chuck 70/30 deer is a little more lean and sausage is all fatty scraps clean deer clean fat great sausage

·
Registered
561 Posts
I process my own. I add beef fat, maybe 10%. Make sure it is steak trim 'fat' trimmings and not 'suet'. Fat and suet are different. The melt point and texture is different. I might try some bacon in some, that would be good for sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Grinding

I mix one pound of bacon with two pounds of meat. It makes i great burger, or the wife makes meat balls with it. It helps the meat stick togater also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts