Archery Talk Forum banner

Grip tape or not to grip tape

1992 Views 27 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  sambo3006
Ok how many of you use grip tape on your bow handle? Do most the pro's use it also or not?

I read an article somewhere its better not to and let the grip slide into its natural position.

Comments? thoughts?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,612 Posts
On some bows ive used hockey tape on my grip to find what I call the sweet spot...

· Registered
1,204 Posts
I use hockey tape on my grips.Im ok without it till my hand starts to sweat then it's all over.

· Registered
86 Posts
Used to, not now

I took off the grip on my old bow and put velcro on the handle. It was OK, but the grip was not right. Then I bought my Hoyt Pro Elite with the shaped grip. I don't use any tape now and it works great!

· Registered
7,265 Posts
my 0.02

Anything that keeps the grip portions of the bow from settling naturaly in the web of your hand will lead to torqueing the bow. That leads to left and right misses. Many people deal well with this problem . I don't.

I want no friction whatsoever in the hand/grip interface. I always shoot with a light cotton glove on the bowhand to let the bow settle into it's natural position.

Works for me, but maybe not for anybody else.

Give it a try and see what works for you.

· Registered
37 Posts
I recently switched from my Pro Elite to my Apex 7, and the grip is just not as comfortable as the Hoyt, so I'm trying Limbsaver's Tentacle wrap. Certainly more comfortable, but it also feels a bit thick. Wondering if I should keep trying it, try an after market ad on grip, or go back to the way it was and deal with it.

· Registered
98 Posts
I am of the opposite opinion. I also wear a thin wool glove on my bow hand all year long to let the bow settle in my hand and minimize torque. Great for hunting season too, hand is warm and nothing is different from all season shooting.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
...grip tape it.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
I do mine just about 1 round till you cant see the side plates really works well for me on like a hot day

· Registered
697 Posts
I have taken the grips off and use sideplates or

Took all the full size grips off of all my hoyts, I tried to just shoot the riser, then with just sideplates and no wrap as well as with only one sideplate. I found my hand was okay right to left but would sometimes slip deeper into the notch and give me high and lows. I put hockey tape on it this year and it slips enough to let me get a consistent grip but does not change as I warm up and sweat a little.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Grip tape from a skateboard works better than anything I've found; shooting without nothing on the grip is actually much more inconsistent if you think about it...because your hand will tend to slide differently depending on the conditions (whether or not it's humid outdoors, or whether or not you're in a tournament situation and sweating more than average). For me, having the grip take ensures that I'll grip it the same every time.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Grip tape from a skateboard works better than anything I've found; shooting without nothing on the grip is actually much more inconsistent if you think about it...because your hand will tend to slide differently depending on the conditions (whether or not it's humid outdoors, or whether or not you're in a tournament situation and sweating more than average). For me, having the grip take ensures that I'll grip it the same every time.
See? This is what makes archery interesting....we can all have different takes on things and they can all still work. In this instance, I feel the exact opposite. I want and look for the smoothest grip I can find. One reason I like Hoyt grips (and the angle fits me well). I want my hand to slide up into top of the grip area since when it does it plants itself into the same spot time after time. And if it wasn't smooth enough I've used a billiards shooter's glove, the thin and slippery black one. Rubbery or sticky grips, for me anyway, just mean I can't just let it happen and I have to put my hand into the same place everytime, and sometimes I miss. :lol: Plus it's just another step to add to my shot sequence and something else to think about. For me, thinking and shooting my best don't go hand in hand. :eek:

· Registered
2,351 Posts
cotton glove + talcum powder

Let the bow settle in where it wants.

I used to use the tape.

But, the Anchor Site taught me the right way !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.