Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this over in the Mathews forum but no help thus far. Tell me if this sounds about right. I love my new VXR but I’m having a hell of a time dialing it in right to left. The vertical adjustments are right on and I can get it to group in the center horizontally but not consistently, the group walks left to right quite a bit. I’ll get a good group then a group will be left of center then it will come back. Never had this issue like this with my Prime Logic. I ordered a Replacement Shrewd grip to see if that helps me get more consistent hand placement and reduce torquing it but do you think I’m looking in the right place to fix my issue.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,698 Posts
Photo of your target. Fire three fletched arrows and two bareshafts at the same spot. Ideally, target off the ground, so middle of target is at your shoulder height. 20 yards. Post photo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I Got it figured out. I switched to a thumb release at the same time I got the VXR, I realized I was giving the thumb release a bit of a death grip, once I loosened up my hand a wrist a bit it came back around. Still not 100% in love with the engage grip so we'll see if the shrewd does the trick.

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,079 Posts
I had right left issues with my Traverse. I got an ultraview grip, problem gone..........completely. the engage grip was comfortable but just couldn't get consistent with it . Im sure the shrewd grip will make ya love your bow.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had right left issues with my Traverse. I got an ultraview grip, problem gone..........completely. the engage grip was comfortable but just couldn't get consistent with it . Im sure the shrewd grip will make ya love your bow.
The engage is comfortable for sure but like you said it just doesn’t feel like I can get a consistent feel. I really like the look of the ultraview grips and would have gone that direction but they’re all out of the stock so I figured the shrewd was the next best thing. Might get one if the Chris Bee grips down the road.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,810 Posts
Think I Got it figured out. I switched to a thumb release at the same time I got the VXR, I realized I was giving the thumb release a bit of a death grip, once I loosened up my hand a wrist a bit it came back around. Still not 100% in love with the engage grip so we'll see if the shrewd does the trick.
i was doing the same thing. relaxing the release hand makes a huge difference. another thing that killed my accuracy with a hand held release was pulling the release hand away from my face instead of straight back. once i was pulling it straight back my accuracy was back to where i wanted it to be

·
Registered
567 Posts
I briefly tried a thumb release. I was torquing it something fierce. Went back to my tried and true index hook.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In my case it was a draw length issues. I have a new vertex and was having l/r misses until I finally dialed in the dl. One of the major problems with Mathews is you cant fine tune dl easily. One module was 28.5 next mod was 28.0. My draw length is 28.25. I had to adjust cable string length to get it right. Lost some peak weight but L/R misses are gone.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
YES! I had the same problem when I switched to my Traverse last year. Use the Shrewd grip with skateboard grip tape. It sounds like the grip tape will grid you hand up but it doesn't. It works really well actually and makes it very really repeatable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I never changed grip on my vertix but originally i had your same problem. I just worked on my form and its good about 99 percent of the time lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts