Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read in the paper a bowhunter mistakenly shot a Grizzly bear thinking it was a black bear. He was hunting just a few miles out of town (griz that close :eek: and shot it from his treestand. He said it looked like an off-color black bear, but realized his mistake when he approached the animal.

He did the right thing and reported the incident to the authorties, who promptly wrote him a steep fine.

Just a lesson for us all. KNOW YOUR ANIMAL!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I've never hunted bear...but out of curiousity...how can you tell the difference? I just size and maybe color the determining factors?

We all know how hard it is to judge singular animals on the hoof at times...just wondering how you do it where grizzlies and blacks live together...in case I ever do go on a bear hunt! :)

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Black bears can be brown and grizzlies can be almost black.

However grizs tend to have a more pronounced hump over there shoulders and their snouts tend to be longer. There are lots of subtle differences that you notice once you've been around a few in the wild. It's tough to describe.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Grizz will try to take away your elk. They also rip up alot of ENVIRO'S aroud here in the summer.:p Here, you have to take a test to detemine the difference to get a bear tag.......... Personally, I think they should be killed along with the DAMN wolves!:mad: Come on FLATLANDERS, let's hear it!:rolleyes: They don't live in your backyard! They do mine. Want some? Sorry I get a bit Pi$$#* on this subject.:eek:

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
HP10

Tell us more. What have they done to you????;) Well it works for DR. Phil. LOL

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Who you calling a flatlander ;)

I coexist with them daily. Even had one try and eat my best dog out of my front yard. I hold no animosity towards them and respect them.

I hunt them, but have yet to shoot one with a bow. It would be a damn shame, IMHO, to not have them around.

·
Registered
238 Posts
HOLLOW POINT

I think the griz and the wolfs were in the state of Montana long before you. If you hate living with them that bad then move.

I will trade with you I will put up with the bears and the wolfs and wake up every day with sun coming up over the mountines and you can come down here and put up with traffic crime and polution.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
imo, i think it's a bunch of crap that the guy got a big fine , shouldn't honesty count for something? at least he reported it , i'm not saying he should have gotten no fine just not a giant one , maybe one for a couple hundred bucks , and i would THINK most hunters out that way would know the difference btween a blackie and a griz ,maybe in the excitement of the moment he made a mistake , how much was the fine anyway?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
How to avoid being eaten by a Bear

You can tell them by their feces... black bear feces is full of berries and grass. Grizzley feces is full of bells and smells like pepper spray.

Punchline to an old joke :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
The best way to tell the difference is, you can go up & kick a black bear in the *** & it'll run away but a grizzly won't.

Works every time!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
JMO, but I have to agree with XI. Here is a guy that made an honest mistake and he reported it to the authorties, and what do they do, slap him with a fine. That really makes people want to admit when they screw up!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a link if you'd like to read the story.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/

I must apologize for the 'steep fine' remark. My wife read the story and gave me the details which I posted.....guess that'll teach me. Next time I'LL read it before posting :D However, I have no doubt the fine was substantial since Griz are protected here.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
This happens all the time to guys who shoot a moose a little under 50" wide around here. (Hold on moose while I measure). The good guys still butcher the moose and turn it in, but they get fined anyway.

However, there is a small level of civil disobedience going on now in the circle of hunters that made an honest mistake. Just plead the 5th. When the warden asks, "Did you shoot this moose?" Reply,
"I'm sorry sir I cannot answer that question, I plead the 5th." Don't crack. Just say, this is an illegal moose and I'm turning it in. It's up to the warden to PROVE you shot it.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
AK Doug, I don't want em' all dead, BUT it should not be a felony to shoot one if you are charged! You will do more time in jail for shooting a DAMN BEAR (with cause) than you will for shooting a HUMAN! There is nothing right about that.:( We can't hunt them like you guys up in AK can.............Hornet, I have been charged, even treed once. Scared em' both off with a few shots from the 44.:) Last year one ate half my friends elk. People every hunting season get mauled and killed by them.:eek: ...............Jeff what I hate about them is they have more rights than humans do. As for the trade, no way in hell. I'd rather get chased by the bears, than live in a city.:p

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
You'll get no arguement from me on the justifiable shootings of bears. The amount of maulings up here vs. the number of bears and hunters in the woods is miniscule.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hollowpoint10 said:
\You will do more time in jail for shooting a DAMN BEAR (with cause) than you will for shooting a HUMAN! There is nothing right about that. Jeff what I hate about them is they have more rights than humans do.
nothing like a "little" over exageration eh HP10?

Brian

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
And he past is bear test??????

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
AKDoug said:
This happens all the time to guys who shoot a moose a little under 50" wide around here. (Hold on moose while I measure). The good guys still butcher the moose and turn it in, but they get fined anyway.
is that the minimum size your allowed to shoot or do they say they mistaked it for a whitetail?? must though he got the biggest whitetail in the world !

Attachments

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
hokie....good name for you

hokiehunter said:
nothing like a "little" over exageration eh HP10?

Brian
Unfortunatally.....NO EXAGERATION!:eek: You obviosly have no experience with the "endangered" bears, or the laws out west. Being as how you are ignorant on the subject you wish to argue about, I will not respond.:p Educate yourself on the matter and then I will debate you!:cool: Till then stay in your urban sprawl and shut the F#@! UP!.........AKDoug, true story, thanks.:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts