Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to anyone that has used the grizz trick heads im looking for your opinions good or bad? i just got some and got them all dialed in. they fly good and are accurate but that sharp blade angle has me wondering if they will be poor penetrators on anything other than an easy double lung shot. i see alot of kills on here but most seem to use the smaller head. just wondering? also anything to speak of on blood trails? these things look nasty but i just got them and havent shot any game with them yet. thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
i shot a 270lbs buck quartering away went in behind the right shoulder and out the neck pass thru no blood for a few yards but i assume that was because it hit the heart ( stopped pumping) then it was a great blood trail. I don't know how but there was even blood on the antlers.

i like them

ben

·
I hate tundra!
1,542 Posts
I killed a doe and nice 10pt (check avatar) this season with Grizztricks and they performed great. Passed through on both with short tracking jobs.

I had the same reservations but have had no problems with penatration.:wink:

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
The blade angle is the same as a couple of the proven open on impact 1 1/2" heads. And the Grizz is only 1 1/4" cut with no loss of energy to open the blades on impact. They are one bad head.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I shot them in 2008 for elk, and had kindof a "different" experience with them.

...I called in a bull (elk) to 33 yards and couldn't get him to stop in one of the primary openings I had, but was finally able to stop him in a narrow opening. Picking a spot on him just left of the tree he was standing next to, I went for a clean double lung shot. As is my luck (especially for last year), I JUST clipped the tree with the broadhead, and arrow ricocheted off the tree and buried about 6 inches into the elk's liver. ...the bull spun around and trotted off about 30 yards.

I was sick. ...Sick and FUMING mad at myself. Just about the time I resigned myself to a long wait and tracking job that night, I heard the bull fall over dead!

Upon field dressing, I found that the needle sharp tips of each blade had absolutely BURGERED all the liver within the 6" radius of penetration, and he bled out in short order.

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot an elk with them again (used a different head this year for other reasons), but wouldn't hesitate to in a second. Even IF they didn't get a clean pass through, the tips of the blades are so sharp, and because the hard/acute angle of them makes them stay in the animal and cause serious damage as the arrow moves around, they do SERIOUS damage in short order and - at least in my case - gave me a quick kill even on a marginal shot.

...and oh yeah, they are tough as nails and fly like a dream!

(sorry - AT wouldn't let me post the pic of him...)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've shot 2 doe this year with the Grizz & all I can say is dead deer. They dropped in sight & I shoot 430gr at 300fps+.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts