Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a program on TV called Grizzly Man which isn’t the usual “I love you my animal friend” Treadwell documentary but rather, a peek into the man’s head. And ohhhh what a troubled head he had! Apparently Timothy wanted to be a celebrity, appeared on The Love Connection and was “second runner up” to play the role of Woody on Cheers. That disappointment “began his downward spiral” taking him into some dark places. He began to exhibit signs of mental illness but refused to take the meds the doctors placed him on to keep him balanced stating “…he needed the highs and lows” in order to be himself and the pills kept him in a middle place that “wasn’t him.” Descending further into the drug culture, he became surrounded by bad people (the kind who consider carrying a firearm a part of their nefarious job) and even adopted a fake persona with very bad Australian accent. He researched small towns down under to make his BS stories sound believable. His friends and family talk about his “dark side” and how they would visit the courthouse weekly to see felons being sentenced. They say this was Tim’s way of stopping himself from doing the things he was contemplating in his head. Eventually he detached from “society” completely, preferring the company of bears to humans. In clips shown in this show (edited out of the original series) you see a very troubled guy talking to the camera in a mental state that depicts a person fractured and emotionally distraught. His challenges to God to “hurt him” and to bring rain “if you exist”…are revealing rants that show Treadwell was less of a naturalist and more of a mentally ill young man who needed his meds and therapy. Though his death was recorded on video, the lense cap was on so there is only audio but based on the expressions of those who have listened to it, it is too horrible to ever be released. He tells the bear to “GO. GO AWAY!” What follows is too much for people to hear all the way through and the family was urged to destroy the footage…stating it is simply too awful to save.

So Treadwell bonded with nature and became heartbroken when he saw animal predation and cannibalism, unable to wrap his warped, sentimental brain around the reality of nature and the forces of instinct that collided with his idealistically distorted view of nature’s “perfect harmonious balance” and paid for that lack of perspective with his life…taking an innocent young woman to the grave with him in what can only be described as a grizzly death. It is a difficult program to watch…gut wrenching actually but like a slow moving train wreck, compelling as well. Tim Treadwell wanted fame…in that regard he was successful. A weird little dude on the fringe of society…he managed to show us the inner societal workings of the grizzly bear world in a way no sane person could and taught us lessons that cannot be ignored. I sorta feel a little bad for the guy now that I understand the demons that lead him into the wilderness and far away from humanity. Granted…his “love” of his “furry friends” was one sided and ultimately ate him alive but I guess he died doing what he loved and isn’t that what we all hope for? Interesting program…look for it. Here's a small segment from the program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jsmqWXxia4

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
There’s a program on TV called Grizzly Man which isn’t the usual “I love you my animal friend” Treadwell documentary but rather, a peek into the man’s head. And ohhhh what a troubled head he had! Apparently Timothy wanted to be a celebrity, appeared on The Love Connection and was “second runner up” to play the role of Woody on Cheers. That disappointment “began his downward spiral” taking him into some dark places. He began to exhibit signs of mental illness but refused to take the meds the doctors placed him on to keep him balanced stating “…he needed the highs and lows” in order to be himself and the pills kept him in a middle place that “wasn’t him.” Descending further into the drug culture, he became surrounded by bad people (the kind who consider carrying a firearm a part of their nefarious job) and even adopted a fake persona with very bad Australian accent. He researched small towns down under to make his BS stories sound believable. His friends and family talk about his “dark side” and how they would visit the courthouse weekly to see felons being sentenced. They say this was Tim’s way of stopping himself from doing the things he was contemplating in his head. Eventually he detached from “society” completely, preferring the company of bears to humans. In clips shown in this show (edited out of the original series) you see a very troubled guy talking to the camera in a mental state that depicts a person fractured and emotionally distraught. His challenges to God to “hurt him” and to bring rain “if you exist”…are revealing rants that show Treadwell was less of a naturalist and more of a mentally ill young man who needed his meds and therapy. Though his death was recorded on video, the lense cap was on so there is only audio but based on the expressions of those who have listened to it, it is too horrible to ever be released. He tells the bear to “GO. GO AWAY!” What follows is too much for people to hear all the way through and the family was urged to destroy the footage…stating it is simply too awful to save.

So Treadwell bonded with nature and became heartbroken when he saw animal predation and cannibalism, unable to wrap his warped, sentimental brain around the reality of nature and the forces of instinct that collided with his idealistically distorted view of nature’s “perfect harmonious balance” and paid for that lack of perspective with his life…taking an innocent young woman to the grave with him in what can only be described as a grizzly death. It is a difficult program to watch…gut wrenching actually but like a slow moving train wreck, compelling as well. Tim Treadwell wanted fame…in that regard he was successful. A weird little dude on the fringe of society…he managed to show us the inner societal workings of the grizzly bear world in a way no sane person could and taught us lessons that cannot be ignored. I sorta feel a little bad for the guy now that I understand the demons that lead him into the wilderness and far away from humanity. Granted…his “love” of his “furry friends” was one sided and ultimately ate him alive but I guess he died doing what he loved and isn’t that what we all hope for? Interesting program…look for it. Here's a small segment from the program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jsmqWXxia4
Did he ever mention wanting to become fertilizer?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Treadwell's last words..."Hit him with the frying pan, he's killing me".

The Bear's last words..."Burp"

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,168 Posts
He did last like 12 seasons petting wild brown bears without getting eaten, that's gotta count for something.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I figured the same fate for him and Steve Irwin,somethings in Mothers Nature are just better left alone or atleast from a distance.Tragic either way.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
If you do the things he did you deserve the cruel death he got. If you play with fire you will get burned, if you play with enough grizzly bears you will get eaten alive. He needed help and he knew it, I'm just sorry he dragged someone else into it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
And some people thought he wouldn't amount to crap....boy did he prove them wrong.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

He and his friends got their 15 minutes of fame from that "Documentary" Good riddance and thank the bears that his genes will never be passed.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I watched it a few times ,shook my head every time .I guess he figured that animals woudlnt hurt him like people do if you dont fit in with the crowd.He found out the hard way.:BrownBear:

·
Registered
80 Posts
And to think he went around to Elemenatry schools and taught kids "what he knows about nature".

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
he was a weird SOB and i knew he would get eaten or attack eventually. Suprised he lasted as long as he did

1 - 20 of 29 Posts