Archery Talk Forum banner

Grizztricks or spitfires?

894 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  hobbs4421
Im currently shooting Spitfires but I've yet to take an animal with them this year. Ive heard nothing but good things about slick tricks are they better than spitfires? anyone used both and prefer one over the other?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
763 Posts
I always prefer fixed blades to mechanicals. If you like the looks/idea of the grizztricks look at:

Muzzy MX-4
Wasp Boss 4 blade

If you like the idea of the razortricks look at:

Steelforce Phathead (most likely were slick trick got the idea)

If you're alright with 3 blades the gates open to countless options.

I shot spitfires my first year...mainly because I was scared my bow wasn't tuned right and didn't want to mess with it. I much prefer 3 blade fixed heads.

What's your setup like? If it's even close to marginal I'd go with a 3-blade fixed. A 4-blade fixed will still put you ahead of the game over a mechanical (In my opinion, there are some who love mechanicals here.)

EDIT: read your signature, at 70# you're good to go with just about anything on whitetail.

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
Slick tricks are very solid heads that you can't go wrong with. I just got some Grizz tricks today and have'nt shot them yet. I like both Rocket Sidewinder mechs, and ST standards and mag. Last night I double lunged a big don with a ST mag and she only made it 50yds. I shot a lot with Sidewinder with the same results.

· Registered
4,464 Posts
Two things to consider.
1 Do they shoot straight and hit where youy are aiming

2 Do they kill effectively.

You can determine if your setup is good to go on #1. #2 you can search the boards. While it it important that BH shoot stright all do not perform as others once they hit meat. I shoot a lot of does here in Maryland. Usually 5-8 a year. I get alot of info on what works. For me its ST for a fixed head and Rocket for my Mech.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
I shot Spitfires for years and love them.I dont have one complaint on them.I switched to SlickTricks this year.I havent shot anything with them yet.But they fly very well.I have the bow tuned and shot the Tricks.They flew true all the way to 50 yards.I was impressed with them.Hopefully I'll get to try them out tomorrow when our season starts.

· Registered
1,422 Posts
The most important thing that you need out of a broadhead is to put in the right place. A properly tunned bow shuold be as accurate with both fixed and mechanical, but the mechanical should always be more forgiving in case of improper form/execution on the shot (wich may happen in a hunting situation).
So if no extra penetration penetration is needed, and with 70# for whitetails you should have plenty for passtrhoug with either type, I would prefer the mechanical.
Maybe not everyone opinion, but I prefer to have have everything in favor of proper shot placement.

· Registered
135 Posts
St -- gt

I used standard 1" ST's last year with great success. I shot a nice buck with the new Grizztricks and I believe the damage was even better....If you can believe it...Blew clean through him and into the mud about 12" with a 65lb bow and axis 400's. I was going to post pics but the only pic I have is about 15 feet away and does not offer an enhanced view of the HUGE hole behind the shoulder. If they will fly for you DO NOT avoid using these heads....

· WapitiBob
6,941 Posts
2 bulls with Spitfires then switched to Slicks and took a bull with them. I went back to Spitfire XP's for this years bull.
A Noticeable difference in time of death with the Spitfires. I will never use anything else.
This year the broad head went thru a front side rib making a 1 1/2" entrance hole, stopped in the off side shoulder blade. He didn't go 100 yards. I watched him fall.
60# Conquest 4
400 gr arrow @ maybe 270 fps.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
:icon_study:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.