Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Alphamax 32 tuned like a dream. Paper tuned, walkback tuned, french tuned (didn't have to adjust anything after the walkback tuning), and shot through paper again with a perfect bullet hole. My draw is 29", bow set at 65 lbs, shooting 380 grain Easton carbon infused arrows at 287 fps. All arrows have been squared with the G5 A.S.D. and spin tested, and I shoot 2" blazer vanes on them. Can't get a group with the 1 1/4" Grizztricks. Shot my Rockets through them and they flew like a dream. Do you think if I went down to a smaller cutting fixed blade they would fly better? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am at work so If you ask me a question and I don't answer right away I'll get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
You've got to broadhead tune to compare field points to broadheads.

·
fall at last
3,260 Posts
I tuned my AM and screwed on my ST mags and they hit within 1" of my field points out to 40 yards.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Calling all Slick Trick fan boys.........please march to the defense. Sorry OP, it is a matter of time til you are attacked for not being able to tune your bow. Just warning you....

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calling all Slick Trick fan boys.........please march to the defense. Sorry OP, it is a matter of time til you are attacked for not being able to tune your bow. Just warning you....
The bow is tuned. The arrows are tuned. I just didn't tune the broadheads apparently as someone has already stated. Let them attack me if they must. I'm just eager to learn what I'm going wrong.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Have you tried a regular Slick trick? I know the originals flew great for me but I have never tried the new ones. Just because one style was a success doesn't mean the new ones are automatically. It certainly sounds like you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried a regular Slick trick? I know the originals flew great for me but I have never tried the new ones. Just because one style was a success doesn't mean the new ones are automatically. It certainly sounds like you know what you are doing.
Haven't tried the new ones yet. Would like to though but thought I would get others' opinions first before buying.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't tried the new ones yet. Would like to though but thought I would get others' opinions first before buying.
Correction; haven't tried the originals I meant.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Look up Doc's thread on braodhead tuning to start.

Second, have you run your arrow setup through a spine calibration program such as On-Target 2?

My guess is the spine of your arrows are off (please don't say, "but the chart says they are fine." as the charts for most arrows are often WAY off!).

:)

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Do you have an offset or helical so your arrows spin and it allows the fletching to "steer" the arrow instead of the broadhead?

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have an offset or helical so your arrows spin and it allows the fletching to "steer" the arrow instead of the broadhead?
Arrows were fletched with bitzenburger jig. Right offset.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I had the same thing last summer and went to 4" vanes and had no problems. I like 2" blazers so i went back to standards.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll look into the broadhead tuning and arrow spining. Again, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Got my Alphamax 32 tuned like a dream. Paper tuned, walkback tuned, french tuned (didn't have to adjust anything after the walkback tuning), and shot through paper again with a perfect bullet hole. My draw is 29", bow set at 65 lbs, shooting 380 grain Easton carbon infused arrows at 287 fps. All arrows have been squared with the G5 A.S.D. and spin tested, and I shoot 2" blazer vanes on them. Can't get a group with the 1 1/4" Grizztricks. Shot my Rockets through them and they flew like a dream. Do you think if I went down to a smaller cutting fixed blade they would fly better? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am at work so If you ask me a question and I don't answer right away I'll get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks
Ok here is One CLUE..... 4" Fletch.......

so many over look good steering capabilities.... If a 4" vane has More surface it will be MORE FORGIVING....

Period....

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
nearly 290 FPS, possibly borderline spine (which shaft are you using?), big cutting diameter (1.25") fixed blade and slight offset fletch? doesn't surprise me.

Assuming arrows are a little stiff vs. a little weak, I'd def say not enough fletching control to do the job. I'd be shooting a helical at the least, and/or 4" feathers/vanes if I was sticking with an offset. Despite what Bohning says, blazers aren't magic. I shoot them (blazers), but no way I'd use a 1 or 2 degree offset at that speed with a 1.25" cut head.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
The bigger the head the bigger the problem.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
nearly 290 FPS, possibly borderline spine (which shaft are you using?), big cutting diameter (1.25") fixed blade and slight offset fletch? doesn't surprise me.

no way I'd use a 1 or 2 degree offset at that speed with a 1.25" cut head.
I haven't shot the Grizztricks yet, but I use the 2" QS's with slight right offset and shoot at 285fps with my 500gr arrows and 292fps with my 480gr arrows, and my 1.5" Striker Mags fly right with the regular Strikers out to at least 60 yards. Haven't tried them any further than that.

So, I would guess more spine issue than anything with the OP's problem. Either that or fletching clearance issues. That could definitely steer that large a head off course as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This could all be fixed if you switched to FOBs. :D

Sorry had to do it.

But seriously the FOBs do work well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts