Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my wife a blind last year and we hunted out of it last archery season and i hate it, with the shoot through netting up its dark and hard to see through.so have any of you dedicated blind hunters just go and set up with no netting up on just the windows you are going to shoot out of, if so how did the deer react? thanks for any input

· Registered
754 Posts
Never shoot though

In my limited experience with blind hunting, we never have the net up. It drives me crazy shooting and looking through it, so we have always moved it to the side or down. The key is keeping it dark inside, small windows, and don't let them see your silhouette.

We hunted all season for turkeys out of a blind and had deer in range a couple times that didn't spook with the net down. Not sure if the big bucks tolerate it as well, they always seem more wary, but the young bucks and does did fine with it. We are going to be hunting alot out of one this deer season, so I will be learning how much of a black hole they will tolerate as well.

· Registered
430 Posts
Ground blind hunting

Never have taken the chance of putting the net down. I use the blind with the netting in place. I don't hesitate to shoot through it at all. It does get dark and stay dark longer in deep woods such as where I hunt. I have to use a light on my sights in order to see them in these conditions. I have not missed out on a shot on a single deer due to it being hard to see out of or to dark. There are going to be pro's and con's for any type of hunting situation. I prefer the ground blind over any other type and have done so for the last 3 years very successfully.

· Registered
83 Posts
I hunt out of a GB a lot(ameristep doghouse). I always pull the mesh down when im in the blind hunting. Have not had any troubles with spooking deer. But im in full camo with face mask and gloves on(same pattern as my blind). I have noticed that if you only have the one main window open and not one of the small ones also that the deer are a whole lot less interested in the blind.
I have taken shots at nice bucks with in 15 yrds with no issues.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
The first season my dad and I used his blind we didn't use the netting, on the 3rd night he shot a mature doe at 6 yards out of it.. She was the lead doe out of a group of 5... This was only one of several deer that walked with in spitting distance of the blind with the nets down..

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Big bucks hate black holes! A way of setting the blind, and getting away with the mesh up is to set up on the back side of a spruce tree, bushes, etc and brush the blind in well. This works especially well if you have a idea what way the deer are traveling to and from. They will be in your shooting lane before they have a chance to notice the blind or the mesh being up. If I am using my Matrix with the mesh down at last light I will lift up the netting just in case a shooter walks in at last shooting light. Sit as far back in the blind as possible, wear all black, keep face and hands covered, and make sure the back of the blind is closed so you disappear into its background. Keep the windows open only as much as you need to shoot thru around (12" in your shooting perimeter).

· Registered
838 Posts
I hunted out of a DB 360 this turkey season. The turkeys dont mind the black hole at all, but once the deer notice our blind, they were kind of wary. Had 2 does come in 30 yds and could never quite figure out what the black hole was. I noticed that some of the older bucks didn't like it at all. When we put the netting down, the deer didn't mind at all. IMO, I'd keep the net down.

· Registered
111 Posts
i have never used the mesh on my shoting lane windows but leave it on some windows i use just to see the deer come in, so i wouldnt worry about the mesh it wont change a whole lot. and yes it is very hard to see and aim using the mesh.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Blinds

I've killed several deer and a couple of turkeys from blinds, never used the netting.
I paint my face and cover my hands too.
I only open one window enough to shoot through; open another a little, but cover the other one with netting, for viewing.

· Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,155 Posts
last year me and my girlfriend put up a doghouse and didn't use the net because we had never shot through it before, the deer did not like it at all, but she did get one, this year we have been using the double bull and so far my girlfriend has gotten 2 of them shooting through the mesh, including one last night! my dad has also gotten one through the netting and also last night I missed one at 40 yards.

I would say go ahead and try it, but the first couple times they may not be much for it and may head out.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I use an Ameristep Doghouse. I only open one window all the way and crack the others very little so I can peak out of them if needed. I brush in the blind well. I pay close attention to the open window. I place some brush so that it is partially in front of the window to break up the black hole. I make sure not to place too much in front of the window so it does not affect my view or shooting. Good luck

· Registered
1,299 Posts
I leave the netting up, no negatives on my part. It helps conceal the blind, black holes are very noticeable. No prob w/ shooting through the netting, scored my first buck w/ netting up. Now, if I'm gun hunting I leave half of the windows netted and half open, but I hunt open feilds where shots are 100 or so yards so the deer don't notice the blind at all. Close range hunting, leave the netting up, long range gun hunting leave the netting down.

· Registered
2,660 Posts
I never use the netting. Just keep the windows open that you'll shoot thru and sit as far back in the blind as you can. Also, draw your bow to the side of the open windows and at full draw then come to the indow you are going to shoot. I have black background inside and wear all black and never had a problem. These 3 bucks were all taken this way.

Horn Antler Deer Reindeer White-tailed deer

Antler Horn Deer Reindeer Wood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.