Archery Talk Forum banner

ground blind question?

600 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  SwietsRick
do ground blinds help conceal human scent, are there advantages when using a ground blind in that respect?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,939 Posts
I hunt out of a DB Matrix and yes I do believe that it contains human scent. I`ve had deer withing 5 yards of the blind. The other thing I like about hunting from a blind is it conceals movement. I`m pretty fidgity in my old age. The blind allows me to move around, read a book, have a cup of coffee, etc. This year I`m going to try smoking the inside of the blind and all of my equipment. I`ll let you know if this helps.

· Registered
8,159 Posts

· Registered
683 Posts
Maybe

I've been using popup blinds for ten years and this is what I have observed. It appears your scent is somewhat contained very early or late, when the wind dies and the thermals take over. Popup's are porous, so they do leak scent, but can cut it down enough, that the deer don't immediately bolt. Where you put your blind is key. You still have to play the wind, whether your three inches off the ground or thirty feet in the air. I like to find some kind of obstruction, on the wind side, to steer the wind around the blind. Think about the wind and the thermals when you setup. The disadvantage is that if the wind changes direction, it's very hard to know that sitting in a blind. Popup's are a great tool, but not the answer for every situration.

· Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason i'm asking is i've discovered a well used trail on a narrow rock ridge wich is only huntable on one side which will put the deer downwind of me. i've never used a ground blind and have no experiance with them...

· Registered
2,784 Posts
I have either stalked and hunt or ground blind hunt my whole life... I do not think it contains the scent but do believe it conceals it longer than being in the open air in a stand, then again I smoke in a blind, piee out the back door and have never had this effect the deer that come in. I believe this scent panic is over rated and if you are set up right and the game are use to the smell of the area you'll be fine :wink: I'm always out early and put some of my old dirty clothes around the blind so as they are use to my smell and aren't skidish when I'm there :tongue:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.