Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this may be kinda pointless because im sure the answer will be "buy a different blind"..well.... anyways, i just started shooting traditional, and have been shooting all summer, i am lethal to 20 yards....my issue is that i decided to shoot from my ground blind the other day and they did not make it with traditional shooters in mind, sometimes my upper limb will hit the top of the blinf when i shoot, if i really focus on it then i can avoid it but then that takes my focus off the shot, i tried shooting from my knees instead of the 5 gallon bucket i usually sit on, but when i did that my shots were thrown off for some reason, anybody have any suggestions, money is more than tight for me, a different blind is not an option?...thanks for the help, anything you wanna say is more useful then nothing.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Depth perception screws with you shooting from a blind.It is very easy to shoot high because of the tunnel vision.Just takes practice and learning to always shoot heart shots.As far as having room goes,you have to find the best way the bow will work and set up for that shot.Larger blinds are certainly a plus with any type bow.Since most of my bows are pretty long I started useing a compound out of small blinds myself.I don't hunt blinds enough to justify the cost of buying blinds for 70" bows.:zip:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i just bought a blind and had some issues with the bow hitting the top of the blind....depending on which window im shooting from.

i've only shot about 30 arrows from mine but i didn't hit the blind after the first five shots.

you really have to pay attention to everything when shooting from the blind especially when pulling back on a live deer. My blind is 77w x 67h. my bow is 64"

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
I'm glad someone posted this question because I thought of that with the coming season & since I don't have a blind at the moment "someone deemed it necessary that it be theirs :(" I thought to just make a few strategic blinds out of the brush around the area I plan to hunt & learn from doing but it's always good to hear what others have or advise for or against to help those that are in the learning point..

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
anybody have any suggestions, money is more than tight for me, a different blind is not an option?...thanks for the help, anything you wanna say is more useful then nothing.
Do you need the roof on your blind?

I'm not a blind shooter. But you know the answer is something has to change, at it is either you shooting style, your bow or your blind. If you change your shooting style (say, to a canted style, if you aren't already doing so) you may need to take a while to get good at it. Changing your blind in some fashion, if possible, would seem the preferred solution.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

I'm not a blind shooter. But you know the answer is something has to change, at it is either you shooting style, your bow or your blind. If you change your shooting style (say, to a canted style, if you aren't already doing so) you may need to take a while to get good at it. Changing your blind in some fashion, if possible, would seem the preferred solution.
thats not a bad idea. my blind actually has a opening in the top that you can unzip and look out of.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts

+1

Ray ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah my blind has a "waterfowl" opening in the top, i just figured by opening that i would be spotlighted, i may try that though if i can not shoot well canted, im sure ill figure something out thanks for all the help. good luck to all of you this season!

·
Registered
798 Posts
If I were you I would leave the pop-up at home and carry a set of pruning shears with me and a little grass string.

Just make a blind out of whatever brush and vegetation is present.

I have a hard enough time shooting a compound out of smaller size pop-up. I can't imagine trying it with my longbow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can you cut the bucket down a little -or- raise the likely shooting side of the blind up a touch (skirt it with camo netting or the like)?

-Trevor

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
If you are going to pop the top, do it in the shade and you won't have any light issues.

I agree with making homemade blinds, but it you are going to do that, a much easier way is to go to a surplus store and get some heavy netting or even parachute cord if you wish to go more simple. You can stake and weave into both.

The nice thing about netting is that you can except maybe on rimrock, use it anywhere, is light and can be moved easily. A hunter here in Hawaii I met in the field a couple of months ago, used a homemade ghille suit that probably attracted MORE attention in the open than it would in sitting, but his underground coloring was brown, light brown, and black that seemed ...... well.... sitting it would probably have been fine.

We use netting for hunting pigs and turkeys in forested areas and it works well if you're careful about movement. A blind and an attractant, which we've used for pigs, works exceptionally well.

Aloha... :cool: :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts