Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many of you guys do a lot of hunting from the ground? Do you ever have any luck with same day set-ups on whitetails?

I haven't had much luck on the ground unless I've been able to set the blind ahead of time, brush it in and let the deer "get used to it". Hunting primarily public land these days, this is no longer an option.

I'm wanting to spend more time on the ground, but the last time I tried I was feeling less like a hunter and more like a bird watcher. Should I give the ground blinds another go, or stick to climbing tress on public land?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Ground Blinds

I also will be watching the responses to this post, some good questions. Lets hear from some experienced ground hunters.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i love hunting from the ground, my best bucks have come from being face to face with them, but i have never hunted them from a ground blind like your talking about, i am a firm believer in hunting on the ground but would like to know myself about the popup blind issue.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Yes I have had great success on same day sets. It's a great way to go in and not disturb the area. Play the wind, brush the blind in where needed, keep the netting down and the back of the blind closed up to prevent sillhouetting. Wear black or dark clothing inside(including gloves and mask) and you will disappear in the blind. Whitetail deer especially mature bucks wont tolerate black holes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've never hunted them out of a pop up blind but I've always hunted on the ground.My dad has rarely ever used a treestand and that's how he taught me to hunt.Don't get me wrong I do have climbers but could count how many times I used them with 1 hand.Really I used them one time.I setup and about an hour later a guy walked almost under me and sat about 20yds. away with a muzzleloader(muzzleloader and archery overlap here) so I figured it was pointless staying there.He wouldn't leave and it was public land so really nothing I could do.After that I've been hesitant to carry a climber because most spots I hunt are a mile plus from where I park and carrying one that far to have someone ruin the hunt isn't for me.Plus the fact that there are laws on climbers here and any little mark on a tree could land you in trouble really turned me off of using one.We go around August and build blinds or find blown down trees that provide good cover.A popup seems like it would stick out too much.Hunting on the ground is the best way for me and it's how I've been taught.It works.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
You would be suprised how deer react to a blind in a open field.
Try it some time.

marty

·
Registered
570 Posts
My goal last year was to try a ground blind. I LOVE IT. I set up a couple T2s in early Sept for the deer to get used to it, and boy did it work. I had deer closer to me than ever in a stand. The blind was just part of the landscape to the deer. I had deer 3 feet in front of me, and they had no idea I was in the blind. It was the most exciting change I have ever made in my hunting. If set up right, blinds work better than stands.

More comfortable
Hunt Longer
Out of the weather(Let it rain or snow)
Safer(most important reason)(makes my wife happy)(lowered my life Ins)
Less gear
Less work(Just a few mins to set up and brush in)
Very moble if you need to move your set up.
Less noise getting in and out.
Never got busted while in the blind (moving is no problem)
Got busted many many times in a stand ( just moving my head)
More scent free(keeps my scent in the blind)(forget the high dollar scent-loc)
In other words, for me, a much more enjoyable way to hunt.

Best of all I shot a 150 8 pt out of the blind at 15 yds, most exciting hunt I have ever had.

I still have a climber if I need to be moble, but I will be hunting most of the time from the ground.

By the way I have two climbers for sale!!!!!!!! Don't need 3

·
Registered
653 Posts
My best experience with same day set up is to use more of a screen type blind, try and back into some brush type cover and set up a camo screen around you. the only problem with this is that I have not found a screen tall enough to bow hunt behind.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I set my T2 up on State land around noon. At 5PM 4 does walked within 15 yards of the blind. Granted, they were very aware it shouldn`t be there but a Magnus Buzzcut did the lead doe in. I had it brushed in.:darkbeer:

·
74,535 Posts
Don

Do many of you guys do a lot of hunting from the ground? Do you ever have any luck with same day set-ups on whitetails?

I haven't had much luck on the ground unless I've been able to set the blind ahead of time, brush it in and let the deer "get used to it". Hunting primarily public land these days, this is no longer an option.

I'm wanting to spend more time on the ground, but the last time I tried I was feeling less like a hunter and more like a bird watcher. Should I give the ground blinds another go, or stick to climbing tress on public land?
I agree with you Don. I dont have near the success on the ground in a blind and I set my blinds out for long times. I dont think one going to have alot of luck with whitetails and same day blind hunts. Public hunting I would find a good climbing sticks and treestand and get that scent above the deer. I use my blinds for rainy days and real cold days when I dont want to sit in the tree.
DB

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I hunt from ground blinds but only out of necessity.

I think they are a good trick in your arsenal but I don't see enough advantages to justify it over treestand hunting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I obviously have not learned the trick. I guess maybe it is not brushed in enough. I had it in the edge of some alfalfa fields this yr and as soon as they came out they were stompiong and blowing at it. (wind was not a factor). They jump out of their shoes when they see it. I gotta do something different. I bad want to shoot one from the ground blind.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I had a couple guys that lived around your area I'm pretty sure, tell me that any deer around the areas they hunt that see a ground blind go the other way. So I would say brush it in good.

Here in KS you can have good luck with a same day set if you are on the deer. We just poped the blind up out in the fields sometimes last year and the deer didn't care.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
i have killed a couple deer from my pop up blind. I have never really brushed it in too much, and once I set it up in advance, and other times I havn't. It definately is a more comfy way to hunt, but when I used it, i make sure i'm in a spot I can see a long ways.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
A ground blind is worth having, can work on one day sets, and can work in the wide open.
A treestand is definately better, as you can see more.
Sometimes being able to see where the deer are moving, even though you dont get a shot, allows you to be in the right place the next day.
The D/B T2 is IMO the best whitetail blind as it has no right angles, and blends better.
A blind is also a good way to pre season glass from a distance.
A blind definately helps contain your scent stream and conceales movement.
If you are rut hunting, a buck may not have a chance to get used to a blind, as he may only pass that way once.
I will not leave my T2 out due to thieves.

IMO.
Two words dont apply to deer hunting:
Always and never.
A person has to find out what works for them.
What works for me may not work for you, and what works for someone else may not work fo me.
All situations are different.
The first time deer sees blind may be the best opportunity to kill it, especially in early season. As deer are curious creatures.
Its best to have a light on your site, when hunting from a blind.:smile:

marty

·
Registered
145 Posts
I hunt from ground blinds only. I had a heart attack 4 years ago and the wife isn't to crazy about me climbing trees anymore. I find when set-up before hand and letting the blind sit will help alot. Wearing all black in the blind makes you hard to see. Open only the front with screens in place. Keep the sides and one back loose to see. I have killed quite a few does but have yet to take a good buck. With the loss of private land to hunt on due to leasing around me I will be on public this upcoming season. I will be trying same day sets and hoping to have as much sucess or more.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you are hunting an opening, try putting the blind out in the open farther, rather than on the edge. DON"T brush it in. Let them see it from far away. Brushing it in on the edge, they will likely not see it until they are very close and it surprizes them. If you are in thick woods, then you brush it in so they wont see it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts