Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may just be wishful thinking.:(

I need a huge portable ground blind.

My wife has recently started hunting and the ground we usually hunt together is near where my mother lives, two hours away from where we live. The only way we can hunt together and have someone watch our two children is by driving all the way to my mothers and then hunting on land that is extremely over hunted.
The public land near where me and my family live is much better than the private land we hunt near my mother but I am not about to ask my mother to drive two hours just so I can go hunting. My children are old enough to where they will keep quite but I dont think they will keep completely still. So here is my question.

I need a ground blind that is big enough for my whole family. None of us are very big but still 2 adults and 2 children take quite a bit of room. It will be used mostly during trukey season but I imagine my wife will want to go deer hunting sometime as well. Is there such a blind our there or will I have to just build a ground blind and hope for the best?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked at the Ameristep Penthouse and the Hunters View Lodge blinds on the cabela's web site and I think those may do the trick. Does anyone here have any experience with either?

·
Registered
66 Posts
dedication

Man I admire you dedication,how old are your kids? I have never seen a ground bind this big yet I own one called and dubbed "penthouse" I seriously doubt if your kids are under 9 years old you will have a satisfying(meat) hunt with the whole family right there with you too much can go wrong ,but you could turn this into something fun for the whole family and who knows a MONSTER might just pop out of know where,keep posting of the results this year as Iam sure to find this thread highly interesting

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Re: dedication

HARLEYHUNTER said:
Man I admire you dedication,how old are your kids? I have never seen a ground bind this big yet I own one called and dubbed "penthouse" I seriously doubt if your kids are under 9 years old you will have a satisfying(meat) hunt with the whole family right there with you too much can go wrong ,but you could turn this into something fun for the whole family and who knows a MONSTER might just pop out of know where,keep posting of the results this year as Iam sure to find this thread highly interesting
blah blah blahblahblah blah. How's Ingred?

·
Registered
66 Posts
deertexas

thoe are some nice blinds but I still dont see a "family" comfotably gettin in there,gun hunting is one thing but with bow to bring them in close enough to take the ethical shot,withthe wife and kids asking a million questions,man I think for the comfort and money you could build you a nice HUGE blind/tent for this family type hunting trip let us know what you come up with and post the results of the hunt theres alot of men out here that I'am sure has done this and perfected this for the whole family a small camper is relatively cheap if you find the right owner ,there is ladder stands that comfortablly accomidate two...

·
Registered
249 Posts
My father and I have the Ameristep Penthouse. When turkey hunting out of it this spring we both commented on how big it was and how we could easily fit one more adult in it. I am sure that all four of you could fit in one of these. It is a little easier on the pocketbook as compared to the Double Bull blinds as well. Good luck!

Leg Man

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HH,

I'm not to worried about getting meat when the family goes because I will have plenty of time to hunt on my own. My wife is not going to be bow hunting out of the blind just yet, she will only use it for gun hunting right now. I just want to share the experience with my entire family and start teaching my children about hunting and the outdoors as early as I can. Ever since last year when my little girl saw the deer I got she has been begging me to take her hunting and I don't think there is any way I can tell her no this year. And my wife is worse than my daughter. However, I want to hunt where there is a better chance of us taking game.

DeerTexas,

The T5 looks like a good blind, but would it be big enough?

LegMan,

Thanks, that is the blind I was kinda leaning towards. What camo pattern did you get it in?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm going off of memory here, but I believe we got the Mossy Oak pattern. If I had to do it again I would get the tangle pattern (I think that is what they called it). Seems to break the blind up a bit better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing.

If the whole family does go my wife will be the only one shooting any thing. I will leave my gun or bow at home because I have killed both deer and turkey and my wife has never taken either. And besides it will be less to pack in and out.;)

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
bowhuntingeek said:
DeerTexas,

The T5 looks like a good blind, but would it be big enough?
I think so, but check it out. One other thought... Not quite as easily portable but very roomy - check out the 4X8 Knockdown blind you can build yourself: http://www.deertexas.com/store/blind.html When you are ready to move it, it disassembles panel by panel to facilitate relocation. You can build vertical "bow" windows instead of the horizontal rifle windows (shown).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are really good looking blinds but not quite as portable as I would like. I hunt on public land so I would have to take the blind in and out every day.

·
Banned
50 Posts
what you really need is a double bull BS-5 Recurve model. That should have enough room and lots of windows for everyone!

Let me know if you want one!

Rick

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't think that the Double Bull T 5 would be big enough for what you want it to do. It has a floor space of 5' x 5' and is 5'7" tall, the shooting diameter is a little better at 6'4" because it bulges outward. My hunting partner has one, it is cramped for two adults. Very nice blind though.
The Ameristep Penthouse TSC has a floor space of 6'6" x 6'6" and is 7'6" tall, quite a bit larger. I have never been inside one of these so I am not sure if it will do what you want, but it is bigger than the T 5 and costs less. I have the smaller Ameristep Doghouse TSC in the Tangle camo. For one adult it is great, it works well for me and my son, but it too is cramped with 2 adults.
Good luck!

huntin1

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Double Bull Recurve T5
Our recurve unit provides extra room upstairs for traditional archers shooting 64 inch and longer recurves and longbows. The configuration is identical to the T5, but the walls are cut 6 inches higher, affording upper limbtip clearance.

Convenient Carry Case 8" x 8" x 44"
Full Zipper Entry Point

Recurve Height 6’2”
Shooting Diameter 6’4” [max]
Floor Space 5’ x 5’
8 Windows 7” x 15”
Window Start Height 31” from ground

·
Banned
50 Posts
Javalina,
Thanks! I hadnt got back on for a day or so. The sizes are right for the recurve model.

If you are interested in one let me know I am a dealer. Le me know if you have any more questions too!

Here is a link to my website:
www.geocities.com/rickshuntingspecialties

rick

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ive owned the Double Bull T-5 Pro Staff,for 3 years now,and consider it,money very well spent.I was very put off,by spending that amount of money,when other Model's were available,at a much lower cost. Never being the kind to skimp,i elected to go the Bull route,and im constantly thrilled everytime i climb into the hatch,cause something is going to get it.Hunting in Great area's help's a great deal,but without a Quality ground Blind,your we-weeing in the wind.Not that the other blinds arent usable,but after owning mine,and hunting out of a other manfacture's blind,TO ME,there is no comparision.I think the old addage hold's true,"You only get,What you pay for.To others that may own another Blind other than the Bull's,this is only my opinion,and not a slam on your chosen investment.Good Hunting! Should you elect to get the Bull,contact Keith and the Guy's,and im sure they will build you something to suit ,as many that care's to tag along,on the hunt,but at a cost ide presume,LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts