Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals of At,

Just wanted to see how many of you like hunting on the ground for whitetails. I decided since neither of the trees I planned on worked, the last resort was a ground blind. I built one over looking an apple tree with a 21-23 yard shot. I am hoping they come in straight on, eat some apples and make their way to the field behind me which looks like is happening by examining track direction and stuff. The only downfall is if they pass by the tree, they will be walking about 3 yards passed me in one direction, or 8 yards in the other direction. What do you guys think. I am totally Scent Loked from head to toe, literally, gloves, mask, jacket, pants, and rubber boots. Thanks for the input boys!

Justin :darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
A Double Bull would come in handy here!:wink:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
COLLEGE STUDENT....need I say more? I built it out of oak branches and cedar branches.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Biggest buck I ever got was from the ground.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you guys usually set up the blinds? Mine is out of all natural branches, and should hopefully have deer not spooked by the change, as our archery season is 3 weeks away. Sound like a good setup to everyone else?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
When I make a new stand (I am luck to hunt private land) I regularly put obstructions, such as tree limbs or trees in the way of a trail and make a path to where I want the deer to go. This way they will walk farther away from me or only one one side. I try to do it shortly after season or in the spring. Deer will take to the new rerouted trail easily. They like to take the easy walk, like me. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
10X's more exicting to get one, or even just see one on the ground! Just be prepared to sit very still.

I do most of my ground hunting from a hub style blind(more comfortable) but have used natural blinds with good success. I arrowed a doe opening weekend a few years back by simply wading into the sumac on the edge of a bean field, trim a couple shooting lanes, and I mean trim. ( less is more). And sitting down. Trust me it works. The P&Y world record Mel Johnson buck was taken in much the same matter.

The sad thing is is 90% of what "todays" hunters know about hunting is learned out of a magazine that makes it's money buy selling ad space to various companys trying to convince you that you NEED there product to be successful.

Goodluck on the ground this year!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I hunt almost exclusively from the ground. While pre-season scouting today I saw 7 deer including 2 old does (about 4 1/2 or 5 1/2) 3 were withing 20 yards.

The main things are to sit completely still and watch the air currents! I started using Deer Dander last year and won't go in the woods without it anymore! Had deer within 10 yards last year and they paid no attention.

Good luck!
Jim

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Here is the same blind up close in my back yard. I have 4 of these panels but usually only use 2 or 3. Ther are 4' wide and 5' 8" high and have windows that can be adjusted both is width and in height based on terrain and position. Everything slides up and down on the 3 poles using elastic loops and all 4 panels weigh a total of 6 lbs. I do not exaggerate at all when I say that deer will pay absolutly no attention to these..because there is no roof, there are no black holes and if I wear matching camo clothing even some movement is not detected.

Attachments

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
you rset up sounds fine as long as you are scent free and still when they come in... i love ground hunting when you can do it ive taken around 10 deer on the ground... it is awesome

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I've always hunted on the ground because there are no "treestand trees" on the prairie.
I just started using a Double Bull that a friend is loaning to us and we've had great luck putting it on the edge of the alfalfa flats where the deer come in off the crick bottoms to feed. Thinking about getting that Matrix...
I'll probably will end up shooting a nice 5x5 this weekend out of a blind if it all goes "right":wink:
The deer will look at the blind at first but after a second they just go back to eating. Even the grass hoppers can't tell what it is! Had so many fly into the side of it thinking they were flying through trees!:tongue:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I will hunting out of my DB a handful of times every year. Every year I have been able to take a couple of nice does from my DB.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i will be hunting from the ground with my bow for the first time this year.....i won an eastmans (their top of the line,360 pro??) blind at the last N*** banquet in aug. i hope to do well as it looks exciting!

maxx

·
Registered
81 Posts
I only hunt from the ground. My blinds are made up of whatever is around me when I'm Hunting. I like to try and stick around pines though. They are excellent for building blinds and you can rub the needles on you for extra scent protection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts