1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
1 inch groups for every 10 yards is what i have always heard

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
So if I can shoot a 10" group at 100 yards I'm good to shoot an animal at that distance. 3" at 40 sounds acceptable to me but.....if you have to ask that makes me think you don't have confidence in your shot. You should only shoot as far as you're comfortable. Be wise with your shots as well. I'd rather take a 50 yard shot at a totally relaxed feeding deer then a 20 yard shot at an alert anxious deer.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
60X said:
So if I can shoot a 10" group at 100 yards I'm good to shoot an animal at that distance. 3" at 40 sounds acceptable to me but.....if you have to ask that makes me think you don't have confidence in your shot. You should only shoot as far as you're comfortable. Be wise with your shots as well. I'd rather take a 50 yard shot at a totally relaxed feeding deer then a 20 yard shot at an alert anxious deer.
Ditto

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
wesbowhunt said:
3" groups at 40 yds. Good for hunting?
Yes, if you feel comfortable taking that shot at that distance. ;)

Different hunters feel confident at different yardages, according to each one's own ability. Having said that, I can shoot 4" groups at 60 yards and feel very confident about my ability to do so.....but, not for hunting. I prefer my shots to be inside 30 yards for hunting and at a relaxed animal. :)

My confidance is boosted or higher if I use a laser range finder before taking the shot. A laser range finder tells me the exact distance and at that point I can make a decision on taking the shot or not. :shade:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Not trying to be cocky but this is a 40 yard group. But before I would shoot 40 yards hunting I would be sure everything possible was in my favor including using a laser range finder. I would hunt without camo before I would go without the range finder. 60X is right, ONLY shoot what you are confident. I have been hunting with a bow for over 35 years and the farthest I have ever killed a whitetail is 33 yards. If everything isn't right, pass on the shot. Better than a wounded deer, been there, done that.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
dahmer said:
Not trying to be cocky but this is a 40 yard group.

You accidentally put a 0 after that 4 :D J/K

Wesbowhunt, like others have said, it's all up to you.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i practice out to about 50 yards or actually 45 with a 3 pin sight but i also practice between the pin shooting as well. the best way to see what your doing is to shoot at 10 yards and cut a 3" circle out of a piece of paper and your pin should cover that circle at 10 yards. then cut out a 6" piece of paper and shoot it at 20 yards and your pin should cover the 6" circle and shoot into it. if you can hit that circle your going to kill an animal. then take and cut out a 12" circle and drop back to 40 yards and shoot your 40 yard pin it should cover the circle like the other shots did.
then shoot that circle for about 5 to 10 minutes then go and and shoot a 20 and 30 it should make your grouping better. i tried that after i was watching a show and it made sense and it worked for me and i saw my groups out to 40 getting better.and i also noticed my accuracy improved and my groups got even tighter
rob k

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
You accidentally put a 0 after that 4 :D J/K

Wesbowhunt, like others have said, it's all up to you.
NO, I accidentally put a 4 in front of the zero :D !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts