Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing around with some video editing software and some footage from a homebrew s600 that I added an external mic to. The software is Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection. The music is a generic tune generated from the software library. Not my first choice in music:eek: but it only took about 10 minutes to put this thing together.

This was an infrared s600 cam but it took blurry night pics (not so good for an IR cam) so I made some mods and turned it into a daytime video unit.

Click on 480p for the best resolution I can upload with this format and YouTube...

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
good looking video

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so THATS What that noise in when im deer hunting! hahaha. Damn birds!
When I was a kid, trout fishing in the spring, I used to think someone was trying to start a lawnmower and just couldn't get it going!!! I remember saying to myself, "give it up already!!! It isn't going to start!!"

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,673 Posts
Very

Cool - was considering the upgrade from Pinnacle 12 to Pinnalce 14 - looks like I am going to do it for sure...

VERY NICE - that s600 can do all sorts of things....

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to know more about the video unit? Any pics or info would be great....thanks!
I will take some pics and post some more info about the camera either this evening or tomorrow.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to know more about the video unit? Any pics or info would be great....thanks!
Like I mentioned earlier, this was an s600 converted to IR. Like most IR 600's the daytime pictures were crystal clear and the night pictures were, well not crystal clear. I have enough other IR cams that take excellent pics so this cam usually just rides the bench. I decided it was a waste just sitting here so I decided to convert it back to regular flash. Again, like most s600's that have had lens convertions, the flash pics were blurry with a different lens assembly but daytime/non flash situations the pics are still awesome. I have enough regualr flash cameras too so I decided instead of chucking this cam in the trash I would make a build dedicated to daytime only video.

I opened the cam back up and soldered a couple wires to the internal mic and ran them to a new 6 wire servo. 4 for the cam; power, common, shutter and refresh and the other two for an external mic.

I scrounged up an s600 parts cam from the junk pile and jacked a mic from it. Initially I left the internal mic the camera is built with connected but the lens motor focusing was clearly heard on the videos. I ended up disconnecting the built in mic.

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the case and ran the wires through, then soldered them to the servo wires and heat shrinked everything back up.

I just used the small rubber mount the mic sits in when it's inside the camera to mount/silicone it to the bottom of the cam. It will be plenty weatherproof and pics up sound much better than I thought it would.

I can easily swap out servos and a good working s600 and change the cam back to a normal operating color 24/7 unit.

For now the blurry s600 will serve as a clear daytime video cam for special projects. The video isn't that bad, looks much better before rendered down for YouTube.

I also removed the IR filter over the flash hole as this thine will never see another IR s600. I haven't seen a single IR s600 that will take clear flash pics without some type of external light for focus. The lens will just not focus clear enough for the pics I am looking for.

Here's some pics of the unit as it's configured for the video s600. Pixcontroller Universal board with Trail Mode chip, set up for 15 second clips and everything housed in a 1040 Pelican case.

Here's examples of pictures taken with the cam last year as an IR unit. Quality sucks.

Same exact camera at dusk with a little light left to help the camera focus...

Compared to my IR p32's...

·
NAASP
14,291 Posts
Steve!

That's real nice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts