Archery Talk Forum banner

GRRR! All my time spent in the woods for this

1001 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  flybub
I was given permission to hunt a 40 acre lot of woods this year behind my grandmothers place in Ohio. She used to own the property when my grandpa farmed, but after he passed away she sold the farm and property to her neighbor. Well I got permission from him to hunt the woods, but he did warn me that I may see a couple Amish in there since they own the adjacent woods and fields. I did all my own scouting, hung my own stands, cleared my own shooting lanes all by my lonesome which for me is the first year bowhunting and also my first year doing all this on my own. Nothing but does and a couple small bucks on the trail cams, but to me does fill the freezer the same as bucks do. I sat opening day and sunday morning but come to find out the deer were using a trail I didn't know was there, so monday I spent my time moving a couple stands and clearing lanes, little did I know was working in poison ivy. This weekend was perfect in Ohio, frost in the moring with somewhat chilly afternoons and I spent most of the day Saturday in the hospital getting treated for poison ivy and poison sumac. I thought i was immune to both because I have never had it...wrong! What a terrible week, I hope I'm well enough to get out this weekend even though they are calling for 70 degrees.

O well, sorry for the rant, just very bummed. Thank God for this board so I could see everyone else being successful. Stay safe.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
take you some benedryl too. that helps with the itching. technu will dry it up as well. you can also get a shot at the hospital that will help keep you from getting it in the future.

· Registered
748 Posts
i got it very bad the wednesday before season started,,, i couldn't take the itching and the Technu wasn't working fast enough for me to be in the stand on saturday morning.... so i took a wash clothe with some bleach on it and went to town... felt like i lit my arm on fire but by that night it was all dried up and just a little scab here and there from the bleach burn.... i wouldnt' recomend this unless you have a pretty good pain tollerance but it worked wonders for me and i will do it everytime..

· Registered
449 Posts
Don't know how true this is but two people have swore by it. This was told to them by a local doctor.Get a bottle of one hundred asprin any kind will do crush them up into a fine powder.And pour into a bottle of rubbing alcohol and apply to area with a cloth or a sponge.I would try it myself but for some strange and by luck reason I have not got it yet. But it's cheap why not try.:wink:

· Registered
4,071 Posts
I was told to go to a drug or suplement store and get a product called Zanfel. I have poison oak pretty bad right now but it was starting to dry up so I decided not to drop the $30 for this stuff. If I ever get it really bad again (like i usually do) then I will be getting some Zanfel. Also, you might try wearing this stuff called Ivy Block. You can get it at wally world. You put it on before you go to the woods and it works great. Prevents the plants oil from bonding with your skin.

From now on I will be getting the shot in the spring to boost my immunity as this stuff really kicks my azz.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Feel your pain , I get it real easy ,as soon as I know i have it , I go get a shot of Predizone in the butt and in 3-5 days it is gone ...

· Registered
3,388 Posts
I feel ya man, that stuff sucks big time. I am really allergic to the stuff so if I get it, it's bad news. I get it very easily, so easy I have gotten it from burning brush, skinning squrrils, and even from petting my dog. I got this trick from my Grandpa who gets it very easily like me and ever since doing this I haven't gotten it. The best thing to do when you get in from the woods is to jump in the bathtub w/ a bottle of bleach. Next soak down a washcloth with the bleach and apply very liberally to your whole body. Next wash off the bleach with some dish soap and then shower as normal. The bleach and the dish soap break down the oil from the plants before your skin gets irritated and taking a shower then washes it away. I have used this for years to keep myself poison free, hopefully it will work for you.

· Classifieds Administrator
39,608 Posts
Sad deal. That is why I love the first frost, I get poison ivy very bad and really have to watch going in the woods, even golfing I have to pay attention.

Sorry about your ordeal, been there and its nasty but usually gone in about 10 days or so.

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad I'm not the only one. The Doc at the hospital gave a prescription of Prednisone and it at least helps me sleep by taking the discomfort away. I did the bleach thing to my one arm and it did nothing but flare up the rash, it took away the blistery lookin stuff but made it worse in my opinion. Thanks everyone for the remedies for the future if I get into this crap again. It's amazing the experience and knowledge on this board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.