Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also posted over on the Elite forum but might get a little more attention here....

Bear with me while I explain the situation:
Purchased a 2010 GT-500 last year. After several attempts at tuning with no luck I had to complete a limb swap (top to bottom, bottom to top). After doing this I was able to achieve bullet holes through paper and broadheads shot with fieldpoints out to 90 yds...perfect! So this year while shooting I noticed at 70 yards (bottom pin) I was grouping around 4 inches right of POA. I then went and put it on paper again to find a bad nock- right tear. My first thought was my rest was bumped slightly out of centershot so I attempted to fix the tear with no positive results. I then spoke with an elite dealer who said I may have to swap the limbs again. After speaking with this guy I got in touch with Dick from Elite who said it may need to be shimmed. Well, I had the limbs swapped back today and the tech called to inform me he cant get it to shoot through paper (still nock right tear).
So here's my problem and it's a big one:
I'm supposed to leave for a week long mulie hunt next wednesday. I know I'm partly at fault for being so last minute however I didn't have the opportunity to do any long range shooting and the problem wasn't noticed until I was able to shoot at longer ranges (50 plus). Is there anything I may be overlooking on this issue that may solve the problem short of ordering shims from elite and not being able to go on this hunt? Any input on this probem is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I will be watching this thread as I am having a similar problem with my monster 7. Out of curiosity, how long is your tear. Mine is about 1/2-3/4".

·
Registered
664 Posts
Try the shimming but if that fails I would contact Elite and put their hunt guarantee to the test explain that you are leaving bow less and you need a bow so they can send you one to use while they work on your bow, that way when you get back you should have your bow just ready and waiting for you.

The only thing I don't get is it was shooting good out to 90 and now won't group at 70. Nothings changed? Same arrows, broad heads, fletchings, rest?
OBH

·
Registered
424 Posts
Id be willing to bet the shims in this case are not going to help. the problem, is going to retrun to a set of deflective limbs and the normal torque caused by the cable rod. the limbs were/are defective and by swapping them top to bottom you changed the deflection or load in the opisite direction however the limbs still have an internal flaw and it is still there as proven by the attempt to swap them top to bottom again in short until you get new limbs without flaws ( im talking an internal breakdown in the material or more likely the composion of the laminant in the limb not any external flaw you could see) the bow will continue to not perform for you. the good news is elites hunt garentee is available to you darn good thing this is not a mathews, hoyt or martin, bowtech, quest,pse or any other bow manufactured as you would be hosed unless you had a backup bow ready to go.... call elite and good luck on your hunt

·
Registered
424 Posts
The only thing I don't get is it was shooting good out to 90 and now won't group at 70. Nothings changed? Same arrows, broad heads, fletchings, rest?
OBH
what changed, to answer the question, is time, and the number of shot cycles. the limb is designed to cycle for the life of the bow with little to no change- but when there is a defect (stiff spot or thickness variation) it will cause the limb to cycle differently and accelerate the deterioration of the limb before and after the defect as it is repeatedly cycled over time thus even tough nothing has changed equipment wise the limb has deteriorated to a point were it is not going to cycle correctly weather on the top or bottom.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys... jman unfortunately I think your absolutely right on this one and the problem won't be solved until I get some new limbs put on. I'm taking it to a guy tomorrow who thinks he will be able to get it to tune... at least temporarily for my hunt. We'll see how that goes. I'll post when I know more. Thanks!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update for those of you that care:
Took the bow to a different tech guy I've had good luck with in the past. We started by basically tearing the bow apart and starting from scratch. Here is what was done:
1) Added a few twists to tighen up the string as he believed we had a stretch issue
2) Backed the top limb off a half turn
3) Adjusted timing on ripcord rest (tied in too far toward bottom limb on down cable)
4) Played with tiller
5) Adjusted cam timing

Sounds like a lot but he had it shooting bullet holes in an hour. This guy definately saved me on this one... hopefully the tune will last...time will tell! Thanks everyone for your input!!!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Just tuning the GT500 I had delivered to me from The States, it tuned beautifully, all needs to be done now is to sight it in sharp.
No shops closer than 3,000+ miles from where I am................lol
Necessity is a great provider, I am learning every little thing necessary to get a bow working sweet.
Delighted you got your bow sorted out, have a great hunt and post how it went.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts