Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a half dozen GT Triple X arrows for Christmas and have a couple questions and/or concerns. I've searched through the forum and could not find what I thought was the answer to my issues.

My set up:
Hoyt Alphamax 35, 30" draw, 56#. Using a Carter Evo.

For the last 5 months I've been shooting X-Jammer 27's, with 210gr tips, at 27 3/4". I have been very pleased with these arrows, and didn't start shooting 300's until after I got them. These arrows are, for lack of a better word, forgiving. If my form was right, and the pin floated anywhere in the white of a five spot, it was an X or very close. My best round being a 300 51x.

My new Triple X's are full length (under advice of fellow shooters) with 200 grain tips. After shooting a hundred or so arrows today, I would have been lucky to post a 290 with 25 - 30 X's at best. It seems these arrows at their current state lack the same "forgiveness". If my pin was not help perfectly still on the X, they were likely a 4. Many times everything felt right and I was as certain as one could be that I executed a good shot only to see one nearly flung out of the blue.

With my limited knowledge of spine, length, and FOC, I am questioning whether or not these arrows should be cut to the same 27 3/4 as the X-Jammers. I don't want to cut these arrows down before I know if that or the 200 grains up front could be changed.

Any help with this question is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm no expert but I'd bet most people will reply and tell you to cut them. If you search "fat carbon spine" or something like that you'll get tons of hits with what people are doing with them. I'll bet well over 90% cut them.

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
I cut my XXX to the rest and run 100 grain tips with 3 Blazer vanes.

Last year I ran them with 50 grains up front and 3 Rayzr feathers from an X Force at well over 300 fps and excellent indoor accuracy.

I suggest you cut them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Your Spine is way to stiff with the Triple x shaft even at full length,your spine with the X-jammers is .295 and with the triple X it is .150, Just ran a quick check with On Target 2, and your spine is much better for that set-up using the X-jammers, without even knowing the nocks and feathers or vanes your using, and if you cut the Triple X'S shorter that will only make the spine stiffer. Just MHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you replies. I cut the arrows to the same length as my X-jammers tonight before the indoor shoot. Much better results. Once I got everything sighted in they were very accurate. These arrows are a little stiffer than what my setup calls for but after much debate at the local shop we came to the conclusion that over stiffness should not be a problem. I left the 200 grains in the tip. That detail was also a tricky decision, but I am very please with these arrows now. Another shooter shooting the almost identical setup (weight and draw length) who has been shooting the same arrows, full length, shot mine after the shoot and is going to cut his to.

Once again, I appreciate the replies. This is a great site and a great forum, because of the help like you guys gave me.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
For what its worth, I run mine at 29" of carbon and 200 up front. They hit in the same hole!!

Side note: Don'T use the pin nocks, just my opinion.

I had some arrows want to run to the left and found the nock would be loose or have a small crack. I switched to Bohning pin nocks and have no problems now.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Your Spine is way to stiff with the Triple x shaft even at full length,your spine with the X-jammers is .295 and with the triple X it is .150, Just ran a quick check with On Target 2, and your spine is much better for that set-up using the X-jammers, without even knowing the nocks and feathers or vanes your using, and if you cut the Triple X'S shorter that will only make the spine stiffer. Just MHO.
Those arrows were never designed to spine out anyways. Same goes for the xjammers/xkillers/30x/etc. You would need a ridiculous draw weight or a bowling ball on the front end to get them to spine out and obviously the manufacturer knows this. They are made to be shot stiff and that's a whole different argument anyways. Some guys like to spine out the fat easton aluminum arrows by keeping them full length and shooting heavy points but a lot of people report less than spectacular results trying that with the fat carbon shafts...which is why most people cut them.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I remember reading an article by Tim Gillingham one time where he said something to the effect that it is impossible for an arrow to be too stiff. Since he works for Gold Tip and is a terrific shot, he may know what he is talking about.

·
Registered
347 Posts
As others have said there is no way to get the XXX's spined correctly unless you were pulling 150lbs. I done what others had recommended and cut mine off 3/4 inch in front of rest. They ended up being only 26 inches long. They look a little strange being so short and fat. I have 150 grain points in them. They fly like darts. We just look at each other and scratch our heads about these arrows but by golly they fly good. Im far from a pro but shoot 55-58 X's on a five spot. When I miss its a bad shot and nothing to do with the arrow's or the bow. Prior to these arrows I was shooting 2613's with 325 grains up front. I can't really say my scores have improved with these arrows but they are sure a lot lighter to carry around in the quiver. LOL! Actually I think they are a little more forgiving than the 2613's were. Good luck and give it a try. Just cut off 3 arrows and try them. If they don't work I'm sure you can sell them. As long as they ar still 26 inches long. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts