Archery Talk Forum banner

GT22 Arrow weight

722 Views 15 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jwolfe78
Just got an Alphaburner for shooting 3D. It's a 27.5" set at 74#. Im thinking of trying the GT22's. What should I shoot for in total arrow weight?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
874 Posts
You would need atleast 370 to be at the 5grns per pound. Besides that it's really personal preference and how the arrow flies.

· NC ASA Director
36,234 Posts
You will probably have to shoot a 125 tip at your draw length. You might want to back it down to 70# and shoot for a 350 grain arrow.

· Registered
1,814 Posts
I shoot a 28 inch draw so my arrows would work for you. Mine have pins and x2 vanes and 110 points and only weigh 330. For mine to work you would have to shoot 150 grain points. Might drop it to 70 pound and shoot 125s and a little longer arrow. Might think about the xcutters, Im shootin them out of a monster 7 on 70 pound and they are shootin really good. They are same length as my 22's and have 110 points and weigh 352. Put 130 up front and you would be good to go.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Droptine, I was thinking about GT22's at 28.5" with X2 vanes with pins and a 125gr point. Thats around the 373 mark. Will putting the 125gr tip on a short arrow move the FOC too far forward?

· Registered
1,814 Posts
That would work, with a 125 and 2 inches longer mine would be 360. My 22's are lighter than some I've had before and I got another new dozen that are heavier but uncut. At 74 pound and spiral cams you might be gettin weak. Is there a reason you going to shoot 74 pound and not a little less.

· Registered
1,814 Posts
I shot a guys alphaburner last year that was 28 60 pound and a 300 arrow and it did 317. your gonna get some speed with that bow. If your shootin nibbs you can change the weights from the nock end with the long wrench gold tip makes so you could try it heavy and if needed to go down on bow weight just take some weight out of nibb from the back.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats pretty impressive. So, there's prolly no reason to pull the extra weight. But, I prolly will in case I decide to hunt with the bow. I've been shooting a M6 and an 82nd Airborne, so I don't really understand the term smooth draw anyways.

· Registered
874 Posts
Thats pretty impressive. So, there's prolly no reason to pull the extra weight. But, I prolly will in case I decide to hunt with the bow. I've been shooting a M6 and an 82nd Airborne, so I don't really understand the term smooth draw anyways.
Smooth draw wouldn't be a great concern as much as fatigue when shooting a 3D course. If you find yourself getting tired by the end of a shoot then I would back it off a few lbs. and be able to sling more arrows with more consistency. Then near the end of 3D season crank it back up and practice for hunting season. If you shoot 74lbs and turn it down to say 68lbs you may find the draw to be smooth as butter on that M6 and 82nd giving you a more repeatable draw and shot. Just something to think about.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
You don't need the extra weight for hunting either.

· NC ASA Director
36,234 Posts
I like to have a smooth easy draw when hunting also. Whitetails can be spooky and cold hours on the stand and awkward positions, including sitting, can make it difficult to draw a bow sometimes.

· Registered
1,814 Posts
I like to match my arrows to my bow. I suggest shooting the bow and finding what weight you like and hold the best then you can start trying different arrows and combinations to find out what does the best at your prefered weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.