Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack Pine was kind enough to send me this Guardian ADF scope mount that he inherited. It had no rentention spring with it, and the one from original trigger was going to be tricky to use. Instead of calling Danny Miller and getting a retention spring for it, I decided to convert it to a brush retainer. I waited to post anything about it until I had some range time with it to make sure everything was just as good as the original. I had to adjust the scope after the mount switch. Still shoots Grizz Tricks right with field points, still shoots the same speed according to the scope retical and power at 30 and 40, so all is well. The brush is from an Octane Hostage rest. You can get a set of 3 for between $3.50 and $6. I had to make an aluminum piece that fit without play in the groove under the top of the Guardian (it's between 1/2 and 3/8"), and it had to be shimmed down between 3/16" (too loose) and 1/4" (too tight). I made the aluminum adapter 3/16" thick, then put a thin, dense foam gasket between the aluminum piece and the mount so the tension on the arrow has some adjustment. It holds the arrow in place much more firmly than a retention spring. Makes a bit less of a ringing noise I suppose, though this bow is pretty quiet for a recurve anyway. Now my limbs that can't be replaced have dry fire protection. If this mount is any heavier than the standard mount, it is barely noticeable. Just wanted to share with the guys on the forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
What type of life expectancy do you see before the brushes start too lose their resilency and ability to put tension on the bolt? Also how does it function with different diameter bolts?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't answer the first question. This crossbow is all sighted in with broadheads, so I don't expect to do a lot of shooting before I go hunting with it. If is does start to loosen up some, I can loosen the mount screw and the foam gasket will push the brush down some. Most crossbow arrows are the same diameter. I doubt I will use anything other than BEEs or Zombies, and they seem to be the same size.

·
Scrub Master
4,845 Posts
Nice addition. The brushes seem to be performing well on the TPs so it's nice to see them adaptable on the curves!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great idea and work Jeff....I remember a couple of years ago Derrick M. and I were discussing adapting a brush type arrow retainer to the DTM series bow but he decided it was cost prohibitive
Great Job I have to complement you on your ingeniousness :thumbs_up

Joe

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of life expectancy do you see before the brushes start too lose their resilency and ability to put tension on the bolt? Also how does it function with different diameter bolts?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
Sparkey, since I did the brush retainer, I have taken a few hundred shots. There has been no POI or accuracy change. When I pulled my arrow and put it in the quiver before lowering the bow this evening, it was still really tight. Still takes a good pull to get the arrow out, compared to the regular spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts