Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was out rifle hunting for buck, I went up the next day and cut the antlers off for the shed. About 10y away was a happy birthday mylar balloon that I used to wrap up the saw when I was done.
Wood Trunk

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other odd thing was there was a neatly butchered cow about 70y away from the bull looked to be about the same age and I wondered if the same people killed the bull and just didn't realize it.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
That could easily be from first rifle.

Your theory could also be correct in connection to the cow.

· Registered
715 Posts
I'm surprised most are saying only a few days to 2 weeks.
Looks 4-6 weeks to me.
I'm thinking less than a week because after that the stink would be enough to make a coyote hurl guts. From the picture I can't make out any insects working the carcass down to bone and there appears to be intact flesh still on the head and neck. Don't know what the weather is like there, but looks warm enough still for the decay process to be going strong. Just my thoughts.

· Registered
949 Posts
With predators, other hunters, and the forces of nature, I doubt there would be anything left after even three weeks.

I'm surprised most are saying only a few days to 2 weeks.
Looks 4-6 weeks to me.

· Registered
949 Posts
I figured someone else could have the ivories. I had enough time in the stink cone cutting the antlers off.
Next time take a jar of vicks, put a nice dollip under your nose, and cut away. That is my solution for stinky gut jobs. You will have to refresh it every 15 minutes or so but for those of us with sensitive gag reflexes, it really helps cut through the stink. I always carry a small jar of it for nasty gutting jobs or nasty smelling hunting partners.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.