Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't speak to Elk hunting, but for the duck hunts that we do (lot smaller dollars) we are in the 8-10% range. Depends on the guide, the experience, etc.. so not sure there is a hard fast rule.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Been almost 15yrs since I played that game but when I did owners that were guides Didnt get a tip from me. Hired hands that were guides that did their best on both successful and unsuccessful hunts got a couple hundo (about 10%). Lazy hired hands got zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are many variables to consider - hunt cost, how many days did the guide work for me, how hard the guide worked for you, pre-scouting and hunt setup, and any personal services (pick you up, etc), the species hunted, is it 1x1, 2x1 or am I one of many?, did you have a good time?, did you get a shot opportunity? But it’s really a very personal choice as a token of appreciation, certainly not an entitlement. 10% is a good base - a bit more if happy, definitely less if not.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I hate tips, in all businesses and industries.

Tell me what the price is, charge me accordingly, and pay your people appropriately out of that. Don't lay the guilt trip on me to make up for paying somebody subpar wages, whether a waitress, or a guide, or a taxi driver, or anybody else.

I'd much rather just be charged upfront and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I hate tips, in all businesses and industries.

Tell me what the price is, charge me accordingly, and pay your people appropriately out of that. Don't lay the guilt trip on me to make up for paying somebody subpar wages, whether a waitress, or a guide, or a taxi driver, or anybody else.

I'd much rather just be charged upfront and be done with it.
I must agree, I'm a Fisherman of the new river, of course I look at the local guides rates and success pics, I cant help but notice at the end of some ( not all) of there web pages a tip of Graddituy is expected at the end of there overpriced 5 mile float is expected, catch or no catch, I mean what the heck, just add it to your overpriced fee to begin with, - when I go to a fast food restaurant and order a meal, the price us the price, when I go to a shop and buy a bow the price is the price.

·
Registered
736 Posts
As above you'll notice most places will provide you with a suggested tip rate which is ridiculous IMO. However to them it's all a money game anyway so keep that in mind. It really all depends honestly but I think 10% is pretty standard, however Ive noticed the past few I've done they recommend that plus 100 buck for the cook, helpers, helpers helper etc.
I always use my judgement when it's a good place and I plan on coming back. You don't tip well and you come back....well I can guess what might happen.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tipping is lame IMO. Nobody tips me to do my job....oh but they work so hard to make sure you have a quality experience. Well theres millions of Americans working thier fingers to the bone to provide quality services that arent "assumed" tips. I just never understood that part of the hospitality industry. No offense to people in the socially accepted "tipping" industry. But what makes your line of work worthy of a required 8-10% gratuity ON TOP of what someone already pays for services? How is that more deserving of gratitude than say a carpenter, school teacher, heavy equipment operator, first responder, clerical worker, cashier or a soldier? It's an artificial market.

·
Registered
Pse Mach 1
4,496 Posts
My father and I have always done it by experience so either 10-15% tip. If the guide works hard at their job give them a good tip if they are lazy and not fun give them a small one and don’t go there again

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,468 Posts
Depends on the experience and circumstances...for example booked a tuna trip, cost me 2200 for the day and I could take 6 adults or 7 total if two were under 16 years old. The captain never came out of the elevated wheelhouse, his mate worked his ass off...had one of those hand painted signs that read "we all work hard for you happiness, tips are shared with captain and mates"....I didn't leave anything in the box, but did hand the mate $200 when we got back to the dock and suggested he didn't share....don't get me wrong, I am a boat owner myself and take several folks out each season; I understand the costs that most don't think about (bait, gear, dock fees)...most only factor a rudimentary calculation with regard to fuel and hourly rate, while fuel is expensive it isn't the only cost.

It is what it is and I think most expect something these days...I think if you factor 10-15% of their guide fees (not licenses, tags, etc...) that is reasonable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I always give them a litle something out of my coin purse, never more than a dollor or two.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Outfitting is a service industry that has the custom of tipping guides, cooks, camp jacks, etc. built in. When you are part of that industry, just like any other, you compete in part on price. If an outfitter builds the equivalent of a tipping percentage into the price of the hunt, that outfitter would have a disadvantage on price as compared to others that don't. Also, I like to think that my tip is discretionary rather than forced. If a guide (or cook), knows he/she has the tip in the bag, what are the chances quality will slip?

I know there are a lot of arguments against tipping but if it is built into the economic model for an industry, I say don't fight it. Build it into your total cost when you are budgeting for the hunt. That said, I have typically tipped guides 10% for a good job. I have tipped more and less than that depending on the quality and effort. I usually reserve another 5% to split among the cook and camp jack. If you plan to return to the same outfitter as I have done, you will be appreciated more if you are fair on your tipping.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,176 Posts
What’s customary for tipping a guide on an outfitted hunt?
As a guide myself [side gig] I would say in the 20% range considering some of the yahoos I've guided in the past......grin

Probably 5-10% is typical...I wouldn't expect more.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts