Archery Talk Forum banner

What is the best platform for sling styled stands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the various threads on these types of stands, I'd like to know what you think is the best platform for the mobile sling-styled stands.

What have you tried, what do you like in what situations, what do you like the best and why?

These are the options I have seen people report using. I probably missed a couple.

1. Ameristep strap on steps (3-5 steps on a ratchet strap).
2. Cranford strap on steps.
3. Screw-in steps
4. 2-4 stepp ladder steps.
5. 2-4 climb paws
6. Home made pvc versions of the climb paws.
7. Those weird screw-in steps with a bicycle peddle contraption
8. Lone Wolf hand climber seat. (Bman715, ftshooter)
9. Lone wolf assassin platform.
10. Tree seat (boudreaux)
11. Tree limbs (actual branches).
12. Tree spikes (like sport climbers)
13. tops of muddy, lonewolf, leverage sticks or ladders.

14. Whatever i'm missing.

Thanks. Dan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have progressed through the following platforms with my tree saddle:
1. Screw-in steps - nice because they don't move or slide down the tree at all, but I found the small diameter of the step itself to be uncomfortable to my feet on long sits.
2. Ameristep strap with 4 steps WITHOUT a ratchet - comfortable platform but couldn't always get it tight enough on tree to prevent sliding down. Would typically put one screw-in step in tree then the strap so that the screw-in would prevent slippage.
3. Stepp ladder steps - I couldn't get them secure and level enough to even try this in a hunting situation.
4. Ameristep strap with 4 steps WITH a ratchet - what I currently use. Comfortable steps, minor slippage/sagging of the steps, some noise when ratcheting it tight but not too bad. Sometimes add a screw-in step for an additional step or use branches when available.

That's my review...
-Drew

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have tried many variations. My current setup that I am using is the assassin platform with the top of the muddy stick on the backside of the tree. If the tree is larger I might put in a couple of bolts (never need more than 2) with my hand drill pretty much distributed evenly around the tree. If the tree is real small I ditch the assassin platform and use 3 bolts. I personally hated the climb paws and just never was able to connect the Jim Stepp's tight enough for use moving around the tree on them. I also could never get the ratchet strap with Ameristeps to stay real still but use this when I can't use put holes in trees.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have progressed through the following platforms with my tree saddle:
1. Screw-in steps - nice because they don't move or slide down the tree at all, but I found the small diameter of the step itself to be uncomfortable to my feet on long sits.
2. Ameristep strap with 4 steps WITHOUT a ratchet - comfortable platform but couldn't always get it tight enough on tree to prevent sliding down. Would typically put one screw-in step in tree then the strap so that the screw-in would prevent slippage.
3. Stepp ladder steps - I couldn't get them secure and level enough to even try this in a hunting situation.
4. Ameristep strap with 4 steps WITH a ratchet - what I currently use. Comfortable steps, minor slippage/sagging of the steps, some noise when ratcheting it tight but not too bad. Sometimes add a screw-in step for an additional step or use branches when available.

That's my review...
-Drew
This is very good information Drew. Thank you. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Definite help in avoiding mistakes and expenses.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Wow! I have never seen this one before. How well does this work when you're trying to get around the tree or maneuver positions? It looks comfortable.
I hunt with a 64" longbow so shooting to the right is out the question. I can get in position for all other shots by using the stick. I wanted something that was easily adjustable for height as I feel just minor up & down adjustments can really aid in comfort. This was the lightest deal I could think of.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Here is how I would rank them.

1. Ameristep strap on steps (3-5 steps on a ratchet strap).
2. Tree seat (boudreaux)
3. Screw-in steps
4. 2-4 stepp ladder steps.
5. tops of muddy, lonewolf, leverage sticks or ladders.
6. Tree limbs (actual branches).

NEVER USED
Cranford strap on steps.
2-4 climb paws Would like to try some!
Home made pvc versions of the climb paws.
Those weird screw-in steps with a bicycle peddle contraption
Lone Wolf hand climber seat. (Bman715, ftshooter)
Would like to try both of these.
Lone wolf assassin platform.

WOULD EVER USE
Tree spikes (like sport climbers)

Thanks,
Boswell

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just to let everyone know, since you are talking about this, I have a XL tree saddle listed in the classified. Will probably leave it up for a week for my Archery talk brethren, be fore putting it on eBay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used the ameristeps-3 or 4 per strap, screw in steps, and climb paws and they all work fine. although it is hard to keep the ameristeps from sliding a little. but by far the most stable platform is the lone wolf assissin.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am currently using one screw in step to hold up a strapworks ratchet strap with 4 cranford folding steps. I haven't tried the ameristep steps yet. I can't bring myself to pay someone more than they bought them for. I think the cranfords are heavy and noisy. When I climb a pine tree I think screw in steps would work best. I also use one screw up top to hold my tree harness rope up high and hang my bow from.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I currently use tree bolts as my platform on private land.

Leather

These are super safe, easy to install, and if you remove them are extremely light and mobile!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts