Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this pearl of a statement on another forum.....:mg:

Typically if I'm hunting deer, I'm prone in crp grass.

I'm curious about waterproof cloth tarps. Something to lay over when the ground is wet, because wet and cold sucks. But it needs to be quiet. Poly is loud.

What's out there?

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Followed by:

I went into my magic garage and found a quick solution. Air mattress. Kind of heavy, but fairly quiet and has the fiberish material on the top.

It'll.work for tomorrow.

:BrownBear:

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,168 Posts
Well if he gets tired he can at least take a nap in comfort. I hope he remembers to take his pillow and blanky.

All this aside, this isn't a gun-hunter thing. This is just a hunter being goofy. If this guy was bowhunting, my guess is he would be trying something similar.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
I've been using plastic garbage bags. Air mattress is a great idea!!

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:lol:

Lets see, I guess I will lay down in three foot tall grass so the deer cannot see me.

I cannot see much from down here, so I might as well make sure that I am comfortable the next time I do this.

:lol:

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,168 Posts
A far better idea would be a roll-up foam workout/yoga mat. They tend to run 5-6 feet long, are warm to lay on, roll up for packing, and are very light weight. Far better than an air mattress.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
A far better idea would be a roll-up foam workout/yoga mat. They tend to run 5-6 feet long, are warm to lay on, roll up for packing, and are very light weight. Far better than an air mattress.
Not sure many of the guys on here have one of those... But who knows. Lol

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I guess no one here has ever shot a deer with a gun while laying prone on their belly?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I guess not every one knows what a 40 of crp looks like. air mattress might work if it was on the top deck of a bunk bed.
Maybe he's on a hilltop overlooking where he plans to shoot?

·
Air Bender
803 Posts
I'm gonna use that next time I hunt like that. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I rest my case. May be different in NY., but a good stand of native grass here will be over your head in places and waist high everywhere. Of course we don't have any hills.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
I guess no one here has ever shot a deer with a gun while laying prone on their belly?
I was being half serious. I don't really do it for deer but coyote hunting a lay in a drainage ditch between the fields. Got tired of getting my front wet laying prone so started bringing garbage bags to lay on.

A deflated air mattress works actually work very well in this instance. Inflated I would probably fall asleep. :)

·
Banned
18,551 Posts
Maybe he's on a hilltop overlooking where he plans to shoot?
Guess not everyone knows how to hunt crp huh? No different than stand hunting you can kill some big ones in crp if you know what your doing. Dunno why this subject is a big deal or funny?

·
I like big buffs!
4,299 Posts
Guess not everyone knows how to hunt crp huh? No different than stand hunting you can kill some big ones in crp if you know what your doing. Dunno why this subject is a big deal or funny?
Exactly. I've been in a situation where 100+ deer would pile into a cut bean field right at sunset from a Honda plant. Long story short, the ONLY spot to hunt from was a tiny strip of weeds maybe 8-10ft wide, and maybe knee high. Guess what? I was laying in the middle of this tuft of grass on my belly, on a blanket, with my Encore.

Worked like a CHARM!

I wouldn't necessarily judge based of what this guy is saying, until you see his setup.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts