Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Distance hole puncher
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if you have or use a specific gutting knife?

Been looking at Outdoor Edge and Benchmade.

I can get both for the price of the Mora. I already have a Mora sheath knife, which is supposed to be decent and no big deal if I put it down in the forest and walk away.

Thanx for your reply.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I use Gerber skinning knives with gut hooks. Keep one at home, one in truck, and one in pack or on my belt. I can sharpen the gut hook with a chainsaw file.

·
Registered
24,058 Posts
I use Gerber skinning knives with gut hooks. Keep one at home, one in truck, and one in pack or on my belt. I can sharpen the gut hook with a chainsaw file.
Looks like we have more in common, sir. There is a general negativity against gut-hook knives on this site, but I have been using them for years. A buddy gave me one as a Christmas gift in the 1990's and I took it with me the next fall out of courtesy. When I gave it a try, I was pleasantly surprised and ended up with several. My overall workhorse has been a Buck Zipper that dates back close to 20 deer and I have no idea how many deer it has been used upon. Still sharp and ready for the next one.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I don’t “ gut” them any more, haven’t for the longest time. But I use the replaceable hook blades ( gut hook) they sell at Home Depot and Lowe’s in a folder that holds spare blades. And for skinning( making a zipper) and caping animals they work great.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I got this in the '90s and it did two deer last year. I still get the hook razor sharp.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Not much on gutting.. but but my old guthooks been with me on almost every hunt for over 30 years.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I don’t “ gut” them any more, haven’t for the longest time. But I use the replaceable hook blades ( gut hook) they sell at Home Depot and Lowe’s in a folder that holds spare blades. And for skinning( making a zipper) and caping animals they work great.
yes they work great.

use for skinning animals like racoons etc

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anything with a drop point blade (tip dropped lower than the midpoint of the handle) will work fine. You run it underneath the skin and fascia facing out towards you, using the index and middle finger on your non-dominant hand to push the peritoneum (clear membrane surrounding the gut sack) down as you slit the fascia (strength layer underneath the fat) between your fingers. Just like surgery.

Gut hooks are nice for the first one or two deer but hard to keep as sharp as a plain old drop point. Loveless invented this style of knife and nearly every manufacturer has made one at some point. Hope that helps.

·
Air Bender
803 Posts
Let's talk about getting a Benchmade for the price of a Mora, that is awesome and makes me wish I could take advantage of such a deal. As for gutting, I use a Gerber with a rubber grip that does the job well, just pick one you're comfortable with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I've used my Gerber gutting knife for years and they no longer carry the model I use. It has the protective tip and upswept gutting blade.
GB000112.jpg

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I own a lot of knives, fixed blade and folders. Custom and manufactured, lots of different choices. The Gerber Metolius EZ open folder or fixed is what I use most often.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,132 Posts
IMO, hard to beat the classic Buck 110 folding knife. Shaving sharp out of the box and blade touches up real easily for resharpening. $50-$60 brand new and will last a hunting lifetime with proper care.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have gotten to where I use the outdoor edge replaceable blade knives for about everything. If I was better at sharpening a blade I might use something different.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Normally just use my carry knife, but a buddy gave me an outdoor edge skinning knife with a gut hook and i have to admit, using a gut hook is nice! The outdoor edge blade holds it’s edge surprisingly well and sharpens up quickly. I wouldn’t personally buy a knife just to do deer work with. But it’s nice having one. Haha

1 - 20 of 65 Posts