Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got home tonight from work. She is an RN and works at one of the local hospitals in the ER. She told me her girlfriend who she works with also bowhunts ,had an intruder break into her house last night while her husband was at work and she was alone. She fired once with a pistol and the intruder hauled butt out of the house. She apparently missed (too bad). I feel sorry for the guy when they catch him her husband is a Lt. with the Sheriff's Dept.

You never know when some jackass will try something. Keep'em safe fellas while you are in the woods. Just thought id pass it along.

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
Long Boy said:
My wife got home tonight from work. She is an RN and works at one of the local hospitals in the ER. She told me her girlfriend who she works with also bowhunts ,had an intruder break into her house last night while her husband was at work and she was alone. She fired once with a pistol and the intruder hauled butt out of the house. She apparently missed (too bad). I feel sorry for the guy when they catch him her husband is a Lt. with the Sheriff's Dept.

You never know when some jackass will try something. Keep'em safe fellas while you are in the woods. Just thought id pass it along.

just got the wife a new Glock 17C with tritiums plus twos on the mags for a total of 19 in the mag and one in the pipe and a good tactical surefire light ...... before she just used to keep a H&K M1 super 90 12ga with a four shot mag extension for a total of 9 3in no4 buck I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either she is on hell of a shot with either ......

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have had a gun permit since i was 21 i took my woman this spring to the sheriff's office & got her 1. I have several pistol's & she goes with me to the range & is a damn good shot but she wanted her own so i got her a S&W 9mm & a Taurus ultralight 38 + we keep a Mossberg pump in the bedroom loaded with 00 buck & slugs so if someone comes in the house the only way they are leaving is in a black bag.:becky: :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with the sentiment completely.

My wife always has quick access to a firearm - especially when I am out of town.

The problem is deploying the firearm. Sometimes it will take the situational awareness and thinking in an usually tense situation. There may be other distractions like tending to the kids, etc.

If your wife is home alone, I think a big menacing dog will be more of a deterent than anything and is going to be the best first line of defense in a bad situation.

My shepard saved my wife from a door beating derelict one night when I was away at work. He kept demanding that she open the door, come outside and was yelling whatever at her to get her from the window to the door.

The dog hit the window in a ferocious display and sent him running like a little kid.

L

·
0 Posts
My wife sleeps with my ruger security six stainless .357 mag under my pillow when Im gone!
Good for her by the way!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wife and daughter are armed with three large dogs, two outside one inside, and quick quiet access to several handguns and long guns.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
S&W 38 Special, Bodyguard with a Laser Sight

She has a concealed deadly weapons permit and knows how to use it. It goes EVERYWHERE she goes.

She impresses all her girlfriends when she shows off the laser sight in the grip.

She also has two attack kitties on guard when at home. :wink:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
One more thing, she has Hatfield blood in her veins. :eek:

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
tbailey said:
One more thing, she has Hatfield blood in her veins. :eek:
After she gets the crook she'll go hunt down their families???:eek:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Dchiefransom said:
After she gets the crook she'll go hunt down their families???:eek:
Only if there last name is McCoy. :p

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Couldn't agree more with this thread...Don't only arm them but teach them proper gun safety and take them target shooting as often as possible...Biggest gun in the world won't help if they aren't confident in their ability at the moment of truth...

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife has a 10mm and I can honestly say she can shoot better then me. I am no slouch but she is just that good. I work nights so if I come home early I am always sure to announce it is me before I start climbing the stairs.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
We had an incident with a known an wanted rapist trying to get into my home while I was at work,scared the H out of my wife an she was lucky to bust him trying to open a window before he actualy got in.
She wasn't happy with my Baseball bat, so she now has a semi auto .22 rifle that's close at hand.
I told both her an my dauther not to stop pulling the trigger until their out of gas,,,,,,,then reload before checking the grouping.
We'll sort the mess out when I get home.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
That's funny that this subject comes up...I've been working night shift lately and my wife has been wanting a pistol for when I am gone...We just talked about it today. I plan on getting her one soon.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I worked at the Fire Dept I was a fulltime Paramedic at the local ambulance service. Anyway one night I ran a call at a trailer park were this meth monkey (addict) broke into a ladys trailer while hubby was away. She ran out the back door to neighbors house, where only the the neighbors wife was at home.

The lady busted into the neighbors house and was screaming her head off. They both grabbed bats and when the guy ran through the neighbors door it was a home run derby let me tell you, they beat that guy 5 ways from Sunday. I dont think I ever saw someone beat so severe and still be alive. PD said when they arrived he was cryin like a baby to get them off him.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,202 Posts
My wife knows how to use a gun and with (2) boxers in the house they will hopefully hear any intruder first and alert her and give her some time to load the gun and be ready!! Scary to have to be that way but the world is changing!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nothing against handguns (have one or two at the house myslef)...but still truely believe the best home defense is a pump shotgun. There is something about that sound when you work the action. If that dont send 'em running, nothing will.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unreal this is posted. Last night , for the last time, a car drove by my BF and my house. He drives by really slow, just about everyday, then hauls but at the stop sign down the street. He drove by twice last night.

That's it!

My BF loaded up my Benelli, his beretta and my 20 Gauge remington.

We called the police to let them know what has been going on and my BF told the state cops that if this man comes into the house he will not be walking out...

I have a big dog.. I can shoot... and I am not afraid to use them!

BF is just so worried leaving me alone now. Guns or no guns.

·
Registered
260 Posts
misplaced texan said:
Nothing against handguns (have one or two at the house myslef)...but still truely believe the best home defense is a pump shotgun. There is something about that sound when you work the action. If that dont send 'em running, nothing will.
:ROFLMAO:

You don't really believe that, do you?

And what if that don't send them running, now you've announced your position and the fact that you have a loaded weapon. That may make a wishy-washy burglar go away, but it won't do squat to a motivated criminal other than give them a better idea of what to do next to neutralize you...remember, they wouldn't be committing a crime if they thought they weren't going to get away with it, you're making the mistake of believing they would think the way you do.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts