Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night after finishing up timing my Hoyt Maxxis 31 and sighting it in i drew it back to double check my timing in a mirror... well i thought i saw something a torqued the bow one way and let off a little and had a derail.
The sting didnt break but i got it in the press immediately and moved the string back into place and checked everything. I ran a cottonball down the limbs and used a light and magnifying glass and didnt see any cracks, delaminations, or splinters. The only concern i have is my rear cam.. does anyone know if its supposed to be this close to the limb (its maybe a 1/16 in of a gap)? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on things to look at and check? This is the first time this has happened

Attachments

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,257 Posts
If you're unsure you better get to a shop and let them take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
As long as you didn't completely let go of the string at full draw the bow should be okay. If it derailed but still let-down it's not considered a dry-fire. Regarding the cam it doesn't look bent or out of place, though if you want to be sure you should run a perfectly flat edge across the cam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as you didn't completely let go of the string at full draw the bow should be okay. If it derailed but still let-down it's not considered a dry-fire. Regarding the cam it doesn't look bent or out of place, though if you want to be sure you should run a perfectly flat edge across the cam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
It actually yanked my arm forward it slapped pretty good but it wasnt a solid dry fire but it had a pretty good pop. I think i am going to take it to someone to check over to have a second pair of eyes look at it just to be on the safe side.

I did put it in the press and turn the cam and it does t see. To have any wave or bend to it and looks like its designed to be that close to the limb but wasnt for sure

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Personally, in a case like this I would always go ahead and invest in new strings/cables; String is probably fine on a derail, but all that energy went somewhere and I'm a "better safe than sorry" kind of person.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Firing a bow is adding stored energy to the limbs then releasing it through the string to the arrow. A dry fire happens when you store that energy to the limbs then release it with no load (arrow). The load in your case at release was your arm and body. The energy transfers from the limbs, through the string into your release/hand/arm/shoulder/upper body. This is why you felt the jolt as that energy was being dumped into you, not down range. The Bow should be fine but get it checked anyways.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, in a case like this I would always go ahead and invest in new strings/cables; String is probably fine on a derail, but all that energy went somewhere and I'm a "better safe than sorry" kind of person.
Ya i got some new string and cables on their way now. The thing that sucks is i was checking the timing because i just put new stings and cables on. The top serving on my string is a smidge damaged bit im not gonna chance that

Firing a bow is adding stored energy to the limbs then releasing it through the string to the arrow. A dry fire happens when you store that energy to the limbs then release it with no load (arrow). The load in your case at release was your arm and body. The energy transfers from the limbs, through the string into your release/hand/arm/shoulder/upper body. This is why you felt the jolt as that energy was being dumped into you, not down range. The Bow should be fine but get it checked anyways.
Ya and thats what im hoping but it did still make a pretty good pop. But after doing the cottonball test and checking with a light and magnifying glass and not seeing anything i feel like it should be good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had something similar happen and ended up tweaking a cam and needing to get new ones. Worth getting checked out at a shop

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Just changing the string and cable was probably not your problem. There is a very good chance what happened is YOU torqued it looking in the mirror and pulled the string off the cam. Seen it happen many times. The chances something was damaged is narrow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just changing the string and cable was probably not your problem. There is a very good chance what happened is YOU torqued it looking in the mirror and pulled the string off the cam. Seen it happen many times. The chances something was damaged is narrow.
That is exactly what happened i believe. I talked to a bow tech who knows a lot about hoyts and told him what happened and some photos of my cams and limbs and he said should just need a new string and some cables and should be good to go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Run the axles on glass surface if they ate bent you will be able to tell.
I may have to try that one. I did take the sting and cables completely off and while looking down the bow from the cam slowly spun it and didnt look to be any wobble or lean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts