Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my last tube of wax before I go and get some venom or snot. Does any body else use a hair dryer to melt he wax into the string? Is this a good idea or is the heat doing damage to the string?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have never used a hair dryer but I use a little piece of rawhide to create heat with friction by rubbing it into the string without burning my fingers. Works great. Dont know if the hair dryer heat is harmful or not. hope this helps.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Most of the time I use a srap of leather but once a year I will get a hair dryer on it to make sure the wax is soaked in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't and won't use a hair dryer or a piece of leather on any string ! Even though the newer string materials are incredibly strong and getting better at abrasion resistance heat is just bad for the string material. Using your fingers is all you need . Anything else just abrades the outer string fibers . I've had guys bring bows to me that had broken strings from trying to get the string hot enough that the place where the string let go looked like they used a blow torch on it ! Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Using a hair dryer or leather to heat the string/wax to melt wax into the string is an accident waiting for a place to happen. You can blow up a bow doing that. For those who are doing it, eventually experience will be the best teacher; and hopefully, you won't get hurt too bad.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
If you use the old wax that's thick jus heat the tube up not the string!otherwise jus get some of the newer synthetic wax like excelerator wax,then all you need is your fingers and it jus rubs right in,easy as pie
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That's thinking outside the box at it's finest Bucks/Bulls. Cool tip, thanks.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I have used a dryer before to melt the wax on the string. I am about 8" from the string and its on low setting. Now what I do, is melt the String Snot a little before putting on the string. That stuff is awesome.

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,690 Posts
the heat from a hair dryer will strech your string...we used to do it a long time ago untill i had a guy tell me that....i didnt believe him...but while you are doing it watch your peep...if it starts to rotate...the heat is streaching it

·
Registered
725 Posts
So do you guys never burnish your strings? I guess if you buy finished strings then you don't have to, but I make strings and I burnish every one I make. I'm always careful not to over-burnish, and I've never had a single issue with it. I think these guys that have had strings blow up must have really put a lot of heat on their strings. -Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts