Archery Talk Forum banner

Hal-e'freakin'-lujah! NC gets Sunday hunting.

1566 Views 45 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  pbwhite
Just got a call from a very reliable source.

1. Sunday bowhunting on private lands is NOW (as of July 1 - the new regs come into effect) LEGAL! It's about time.

2. In my zone (7) Muzzle loaders are now gaining a week in their season. They used to start around Nov. 15th. Thy'll now come in a week earlier and have a 2 week window before the rifles come in.

3. Rifle hunters gain a week on the front end of their season.

4. My zone will now get 2 extra weeks added to the end of the season. This past year, we closed on 12/15. This coming season will end Jan 1.

5. Crossbows are now legal in NC in normal bow and arrow season for all who wish to employ them.

I can live with these. I'm actually tickled pink. In essence, I picked up a MONTH of extra deer season.

If you're a North Carolinian....expect to see these in your local papers, tomorrow.....or check the NCWRc website, tomorrow (or, soon).
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
5,920 Posts
Congrats to North Carolina, we take off all of the other "Blue book" laws, about time this one went. FWIW, some of them may have been half decent, as closed businesses on Sunday's = people spending time with their families which is in the overall realm, GOOD for society!!!

· Registered
17,332 Posts
WOW, sounds like lots of changes for NC for next season ! I'm glad you guys finally got Sunday hunting! :thumbs_up

· Registered
923 Posts
I lived in NC for about 16 years. Thank God I used to hunt the Marine Corps Base in Jacksonville. Since it is Govt property, you can hunt on weekends.

I am so glad that they have gotten rid of that stu[id rule. Now, if we could just get rid of the hunting with Dogs for deer on public land, then you have something.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts

· Registered
697 Posts
I'm totally excited about the Sunday hunting but I'm kinda dissappointed with season extentions and crossbow use. I live in the western mountains and we just don't have the populations that the peidmont has. I personally think this could wind-up biting us in the ass. I guess we'll just have to see how it effects the harvest.

· Registered
173 Posts
I live in Central NC and the new laws aren't going to be too bad. I'm not a supporter of Sunday hunting here in NC but I've done it in other states so it should be that big of a deal. From what I read today Sunday hunting is Bow only and private land only. I don't mind losing the last week of bow season it's better than what the insurance companys were wanting. NC is covered up with to many deer and we need to reduce the herd. I don't know if the hunters will ever come around, to many either shot anything or no does at all. I kill mey share of does and haven't killed a buck since 2004. I killed a 135 in 10 pt and don't want to kill the small ones.

Let them go so that they can grow!!!

· Registered
102 Posts
The only thing I see wrong with it is district 7 is loosing 2 weeks of Bow only season.Instead of muzzleloading coming in the second Saturday in November It will come in the last Saturday in October.I don't know how far west the Central line has been moved.North Carolina has started to produce some Quality Bucks I just hope that the extra 2 weeks of muzzleloading doesn't compromise that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.