Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is using a crossbow for the first time this year. I'm going to assemble some bolts for him. Could someone explain half-moon and flat nocks to me. His bow came with half-moon nocked bolts. Does it matter what he uses or should i stay with the same nock? If it makes a difference, it is a PSE crossbow.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm not familiar w/ your bow, but the rule of thumb is if the pivot point of the claw [holds string at full cock] is above the rail you can use flat nocks. If it's below the rail, half moon. Others can tell you more.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Flat nocks are usually more accurate.

I have used both though and didn't have much issue. It would be best to go with whatever the manufacturer recommends. Just make sure that if you are using half moons that they are lined up correctly to prevent the vanes from rubbing too much in the rail.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Half moon nocks (plastic) weigh 7 grains. Aluminum flat nocks weigh 35 grains...thus a little better FOC (front of center) with half moon nocks.

Also, you can tune 1/2 moon nocks to zero your bolts in.

If your bolt is hitting to the left....turn the 1/2 moon nock to the right slightly, and vice versa. I have used both, on my Parker xbow, and actually prefer the 1/2 moon .

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts