Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know new bows come out yearly but is the Vertix 31.5 better than the Halon 6 by a landslide? The technology doesn't seem to be out of date since it still utilizes the no cam system. Is it that much better that I should sell my Halon and buy a Vertix?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The new bow is a VXR. Last years bow was a vertix. I would say the new bows are not a ton better. Small changes that do make them slightly better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right. I stand corrected. I meant VXR and not Vertix. Thank you for keeping me honest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just sold my old Switchback to help fund a new to me bow. I shot a Halon 6, a Vertix and a VXR. I preferred the Halon by a long shot. That said, I'm 6'2" and probably tend to like bows with a little longer ATA. I ended up buying a Traverse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just sold my old Switchback to help fund a new to me bow. I shot a Halon 6, a Vertix and a VXR. I preferred the Halon by a long shot. That said, I'm 6'2" and probably tend to like bows with a little longer ATA. I ended up buying a Traverse.
Can you elaborate a little bit more? My last bow was a switchback which I loved. Why did you go with a traverse?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I currently shoot the Halon 6 and this is what I have noticed when shooting the VXR 31.5.

Biggest Differences:
Halon 6 feels top heavy, VXR's extended riser makes for a very balanced bow. To combat the imbalance in the Halon I recently bought a back bar stab and it has helped quite a bit.
Halon 6 is 4 fps slower through chronograph
Halon 6 is very dead in the hand, however, VXR is even more so.

Is it worth upgrading? Not for me, but I am a recent college grad working my ass off as a mover at a moving company for a little spending money until my "big boy job" starts in October.
If you have the money to cough up for the VXR, do it, best feeling bow I have shot. If not, don't sweat it. 2021 bows are right around the corner anyways.
I plan on restringing my Halon after this season and keeping it at least three more years. A lot of thought went into my decision, it really just depends on your budget.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I had a Halon 32/6 and really liked it. I now have a VXR 31.5. It feels very much like my old Halon 32, only better. It doesn’t feel top heavy. It doesn’t feel as heavy, even though it is. It is the quietest bow I have ever shot or heard. Zero hand shock. I may be keeping this one a while.

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
For what it’s worth, the VXR, felt just as top heavy as the Halon series. The Traverse is not as top heavy as any of the Halons or the VXR.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have to say that I find my Halon 32/6 a true "tack driver." And at this time, I just can't see the justification in going with the latest model........Mindful.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just sold a halon 6 for a VXR. Both are absolutely fantastic, and it’s hard for me to say which is better. Basically I was able to sell my halon for a lot and bought a VXR for cheap so I “upgraded” for not very much. I will say the VXR holds better, but I was able to shoot hand sized groups out to 70 or so yards with the Halon. So, as far as hunting is concerned, both are fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love my halon 6 but have been wanting to go shoot the vxr 31.5 after ready some of the post I may just hold off

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,523 Posts
Landslide IMO! VXR 31.5 is WAY better. The balance is awful on the H6 - VXR is so much better it isn't even funny. The other item not yet mentioned is grip angle which is too low on the H6 which can lead to tuning and accuracy issues. Unless you can't afford the VXR 31.5 and are just looking for a cheaper used bow (in which case I'd recommend at least a half dozen or more different bows over the H6) then I think you are crazy not to get the VXR 31.5. It is easily the best hunting bow Mathews has ever produced.

·
Electric Eye
823 Posts
Predator is hitting all good points.
I prefer the VXR 31.5 over my old Halon 6. Grip angle, longer riser, better string angle are all reasons why I prefer it.

The decision really depends on your budget of course.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts