Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m setting up my second bow specifically for 3D and wondering if there are benefits of the hamskea target vs the hamskea hunter. I currently run the hunter on my other bow and it’s great. Extremely easy to set up. Is there any reason to go with a target model for a 3D bow? Any further adjustability I need to worry about? Should I just buy a second hybrid hunter?

·
Registered
143 Posts
What kind of bow are you setting up would be my first question. I run the hunter on my Axius Ultra but the target on my Proforce. Just depends on your comfort level and what arrows you are shooting I guess. Only thing about the target is harder to keep an arrow from bouncing off the rest if you get the shakes like me or in wind where the hunter is just pull back and let er' rip no thought involved really. If you are setting up a hunting crossover bow, I would definitely stay with the hunter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a prime black 5. I’m currently using the CT5 for hunting. I like the option of not having the arrow bounce off...I guess my question is there any downside to a hybrid hunter over a target?

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Mechanically they are essentially the same, in fact I'm retty sure Hamskea sells conversion kits to change from one to the other.

On occasion people have clearance issues with the hunter and high profile vanes [i.e. Blazers], but that's usually a set up issue.

If I were going to go with the target model, I would also get the Contour AccuGlide launcher arm- I like how it holds the arrow a little better than the stock launcher blade/arm and it just feels a little more sturdy.

I find getting anything larger than about a 23-series arrow through the Hunter opening a little tight; probably not a real issue but it just doesn't "feel" right to me, so I either pull the cage off or run the Target on bows set up with fatter shafts.

Otherwise, IMO both will work equally well- Personally since I can't see if the Target launcher picks up the arrow I usually go with the Hunter and the Whale Tail launcher.

My two farthings...

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts
I have the Hybrid Target Pro. No way would I use it for hunting.

I have the .010" blade with backer plate. Set correctly there is no arrow chattering or bouncing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I wouldn’t be using it for hunting. 3D only. If I got the hybrid hunter I would take the cage off on the 3D setup. I would be using 23 arrows with the cage off if I went hunter or accu Launcher on the target setup. I have no plans to use the .10 launcher as a blade backup so it sounds like it’s really just preference at that point with no real performance difference.

The arrow bouncing off is a concern of mine

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35, RealmX, Prime CT9. Axcel sights and ARC release. Victory arrows.
1,757 Posts
I had Hunter Micro in my XComp and shot only target/3D with it. Without cage, no problem.

I bought Trinity target for my Reckoning 'cause I ditched QAD from my hunting bow and moved that Hunter into it.
No problems at all in any ways in any Hamskea rest. Both are excellent and U can change them from hunter to target and vice versa with kit.

Easiest, most durable rest what I've had ever... and I think I'm not gonna change for any other, not now or in future.
As BlindArcher says up there, they're easiest to tune and built like tank rest's. Can't found any complains about them...

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts
I had Hunter Micro in my XComp and shot only target/3D with it. Without cage, no problem.

I bought Trinity target for my Reckoning 'cause I ditched QAD from my hunting bow and moved that Hunter into it.
No problems at all in any ways in any Hamskea rest. Both are excellent and U can change them from hunter to target and vice versa with kit.

Easiest, most durable rest what I've had ever... and I think I'm not gonna change for any other, not now or in future.
As BlindArcher says up there, they're easiest to tune and built like tank rest's. Can't found any complains about them...
I didn't read where BlindArcher said they were easiest to tune and built like a tank.

I had more than my share of issues with my Target Pro. Instructions are lacking, especially trouble shooting. I am not the only one that had problems. I think there were 7 of us that chimed in with issues.
I'm giving mine a second chance, but if failure or hardship I've a like new Limb Driver Pro at the ready......

It was the Hamskea lead man that stepped forward to help us. Can't remember his AT name. I've got instructions and info should anyone want. Just PM me.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35, RealmX, Prime CT9. Axcel sights and ARC release. Victory arrows.
1,757 Posts
I didn't read where BlindArcher said they were easiest to tune and built like a tank.
Sorry, I did read wrong... but I will say that.

I had more than my share of issues with my Target Pro. Instructions are lacking, especially trouble shooting. I am not the only one that had problems. I think there were 7 of us that chimed in with issues.
I'm giving mine a second chance, but if failure or hardship I've a like new Limb Driver Pro at the ready......

It was the Hamskea lead man that stepped forward to help us. Can't remember his AT name. I've got instructions and info should anyone want. Just PM me.
I haven't have any kind of a problem whit either one. Not timing, not working otherwise, no bounching back to touch arrow or blade broken or that they have broken springs etc.
I know springs has been broken for some people but I haven't have any that kind problems either. And I did shoot with that Trinity a lot last winter. 90-160 shot's per day every day for over 5 months.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts
One, the Hamskea isn't any easier to set up than any other drop rest aside that the Hamskea has the Target Pro to fully raise the rest near to full draw. This isn't in the instructions.
My Limb Drivers are a breeze to set up.

The Hamskea isn't built any tougher than most drop rests I've used or set up. I think I said it up above, but my oldest Limb Driver is 10 years old and used solely for competition so figure no less than 100,000 shots put through it. Still performs like new....

No one knows how it happened, but a few Hamskea Target Pros got out with the wrong screws for the launch arm. At least 7 of us spoke of our issues. Mine and huteson2us2 had the blade dropping below the shelf. huteson2us2 didn't catch it until he notice dings in the floor of the shelf. I caught mine while installing. Only instruction found was have the rest mounted back so the blade missed the shelf. BS! Also, at full draw the blade stood near 75 degrees up and caused chatter when drawing.

Hamskea lead man stepped in after I ripped the Hamskea several times. I had to buy new screws and grind the ends until I had the launch arm correctly position down and up. I have mine set so even the weight of arrow won't have the blade touch the shelf. huteson2us2 bought nylon screws that he said were easily trimmed to have his Hamskea out of his junk box and on one of his bows.

I've offered all instructions I've found and that devinhal, Hamskea Lead Man, gave. And devinhal went to extremes working out what length screw for different angles of the blade.

Of the knurled knob on the right side with 2 screws. You pull those screws you best be hanging on to the knob or the spring unwound with some force.

Several don't know how much the coil spring is to be stretched. It's right in Hamskea's Target Pro instructions, 1/8". Hell, I got sort of ripped because one thinking I was a Know-It-All -knowing how much the spring should be stretched. Same with the launch arm screws....

Having worked at archery shop for 5 years I've no doubt I've set up more drop rests than the average person.....

Okay, mine is not the micro adjust. Still, the way people raved about the Hamskea I had mine for sale, $90 TYD, and never received one offer. I've got 2 VT Limb Drivers and 2 VT Limb Driver Pros. 1 on my hunting bow, 2 on my target bows and the 4th at the ready should I dislike the Target Pro.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My $0.02...from using these rests.

Hunter's stiffer launcher makes tuning over-spined large diameter arrows a little tougher (GT XXX at 100 spine). Also, the large diameter arrows combined with Blazers will likely hit the containment cage.

Target's stock blade type launcher is a little narrow to pick up the arrow in the draw cycle and can get bent and the thicker contour launcher has the same issue the Hunter's launcher has.

My current cross-over setup:
Traverse

Hunting 70 29"
Hybrid Hunter (non-micro, because the micro adjust knobs buzz a little and I don't like having to tighten them constantly)
Easton Axis 300 with 4-fletch Fusion II vanes

3D/Indoor 65 29"
Hybrid Target Micro with standard launcher blade
Gold Tip Triple X with 4-fletch Blazer vanes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts